Few questions about Vortex II

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I have a few questions i wonder if someone could help with before i place the order

1. Will the 675M 2GB be much quicker than my current 635M (which typically has to be played in medium details when gaming at 1600x900)
2. When specifying a second HDD and also a BD Writer, is it simply a case of popping the BDROM out and inserting the HDD? And do you still get the caddy when you order an optical device
3. What is the sound quality like through the speakers? I've currently got an Asus N55S on trial and the speakers are superb for a laptop
4. I've already got 2 x 8GB DIMMs, do i have to order the machine with 2GB of RAM minimum? I don't really need it you see as i will use the 16GB i have in the Asus
5. Scorpio Black or Momentus XT for games drive / storage?
6. Any info on the screen, how many lumins etc

thanks very much and sorry for the questions, just need to be sure when spending £1500!

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

1. The 675M is currently the best notebook graphics card available. Here are the specs: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/...ange_of_Mobile_Graphics_Alongside_GTX680.html

2. The 15.6" Vortex III supports one HDD and one ODD. If you order two HDD you will not have an ODD but a caddy instead. The 17.3" Vortex III supports 2 HDD and one ODD without the need for a caddy.

3. The speakers on the Vortex III series are manufactured by Onkyo which is a highly respected Japanese audio company. Onkyo can be found at all good hifi centres nationwide. They're the best notebook speakers we've sold.

4. You may be able to send us the RAM and we can install it in the laptop for you, providing it is compatible.

5. Both drives are similar in terms of performance although most people are swayed slightly towards the Scorpio Black.

6. What screen are you looking to purchase, matte or glossy? Also 15.6" or 17.3"?

bararm

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply

I am looking at the 15.6" glossy as the 17" would just be too big and it would lose its portability - i'm not sure i could justify the extra for the matte screen either!

I was looking at the Samsung 700G7A but i think your machine would be quicker

Is it possible to "pop out" the HDD caddy when you need to use an optical disk drive? Ideally i would like a BD ROM and an additional HDD

I will be making a decision later tonight and would probably pay for the 3 day delivery (hoping it would be with me on friday, I live on the Isle of Man)

Many thanks

Finn

Enthusiast
If you are going to be switching, would you not be better with a usb external? Either a usb optical drive or maybe a usb3 hard drive? The optical bay isn't really designed for easy swapping.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
As Finn has suggested I would recommend an external HDD if you plan to swap often because the caddy can be a little tricky to insert/remove regularly and it also requires screwing in.