Final build, 2 days til i purchase

truegrace

Enthusiast
So, nearly time for me to order, thankfully, now the question isnt so much about the spec below, as that has already been discussed (thanks everyone who helped) but more of if you had another £100 to spend max in your budget, what would you add?

I dont need a DVD drive, as already have a few spare
I dont want to try homeplugs yet as im hoping my wireless will work fine as it did on my old rig
I dont really need to upgrade the HD to 2TB, even though its not much more, as I have had my current 500gb drive for 3 years and its only half full

I was thinking maybe the i7-2600 cpu, but I only intend on gaming so have gathered that I wont need anything better than the i5 for a while to come.
I did look at upping the gpu, but cant quite afford the 580 (£1150 budget at the most), the other option for gpu is the HD6970 and upping the psu to 1050w, but from what I have read the 570 and the 6970 are about even in the graphics states, and probably doesnt warrent the extra £££ so I can SLI in the future
I did look at the sentry fan controller, but dont really like the look so gonna buy one from amazon or scan at some point

Any suggestions?

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX***SPECIAL***
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,047.00 including VAT and delivery.

truegrace

Enthusiast
Just noticed what I could get if I went for an AMD quad core, a 580 for only slightly more than the i5 spec

What are AMD quad cores like? anyone think this would do me?

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD BULLDOZER QUAD CORE FX-4100 (3.60GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3)
Motherboard
ASUS® M5A99X EVO:USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, Quad CrossFireX™/SLI™
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE AMD CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,081.00 including VAT and delivery.

bg92

Expert
I would gor for the i5 with the gtx570, it would be a better choice in my opinion. And I would get the k version of the i5-2500, so you could overclock if you wanted to down the line when extra performacne would be useful, with the super quiet tripple heat pipe coooler you wouldn't be able to overclock it by a lot, and a titan fenrir would be a better choice if planing to overclock.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The build as it stands looks very good, i would also stick with the intel build above as the intel CPU is significantly quicker. If it were me, i would stick the £100 in a jar and save it towards a 2nd 570 at a later date. Not much more i can see to upgrade other than getting yourself a SSD, and possibly move your old hard drive over from your current desktop to use as storage?

If it were me i would stick the cash in a jar and save it though.

truegrace

Enthusiast
I was debating putting it towards a second 570, as long as i can keep the cash away from the other half :p Either that or buying it without a gpu, using my gt9600 for a month then buying a 580, although looking at prices I could get a 580 from elsewhere for £359.50 which would put me just over budget, wonder if PCS do some sort of price match :p

Rakk

The Awesome
although looking at prices I could get a 580 from elsewhere for £359.50 which would put me just over budget, wonder if PCS do some sort of price match :p

I believe that they can sometimes do a price match (though don't quote me on that), however it would be on the system as a whole, not just one component.

truegrace

Enthusiast
I think I will just stick with the 570, would rather get the system from pcs, and really wouldnt want my rig to arrive before the gpu. Am really considering fast track though, I know I shouldn't, and in a few weeks when me system would be here will probably regret it, but I have got next Monday and tuesday off work, which would be ideal for the 3 day fast track :D
Technically I could class the fast track at £10 less as will be paying for swtor for best part of a month that i can't actually play til me rig arrives, still £50 though :p

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I wouldn't be too bothered about getting a 580. Yes it would be nice but if you can't afford it i wouldn't worry. The extra performance would be nice, but a 570 is no budget GPU! You could buy your own 580 and send it in, but i don't think they would drop the price of the system because you found 1 component cheaper.

I fast tracked for the same reason, to get it here when i was off work. I got the 5 day option and it was dispatched in 3.

truegrace

Enthusiast
from what I have been reading anyway there isnt a huge increase in performance between the 2, obviously the 580 is better, but apparently that gap is even closer in SLI, which I will be doing in the next 6 months

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Their is a bit of a gap obviously, but if you plan to run two cards then you really don't need to worry about it.

truegrace

Enthusiast
Ordered @ 7:09 this morning with fast track, make the most of my 2 days holiday next week hopefully, now I need to beat the addiction to refreshing the status page.
Glad I went with fast track, as working day 1 is killing me let alone the 10-12 estimate :)

Will post in check my spec with review and pics when it arrives, woop woop

oistead

Bronze Level Poster
Ordered @ 7:09 this morning with fast track, make the most of my 2 days holiday next week hopefully, now I need to beat the addiction to refreshing the status page.
Glad I went with fast track, as working day 1 is killing me let alone the 10-12 estimate :)

Will post in check my spec with review and pics when it arrives, woop woop

I went with fast track on Monday, should be here tomorrow, I don't regret the choice at all, well worth the money if you aren't patient or in a hurry to get the rig. :D

truegrace

Enthusiast
It's in testing currently, I guess QC tomorrow providing no issues with testing, then dispatch on Friday for a monday delivery fingers crossed.