Finally! My Optimus IV review

Pagey

Bright Spark
This review is a little long coming but I've finally got around to doing one for my Optimus IV, hope you enjoy it!

Firstly the specs:

Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 8 Standard Edition 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS & UK OFFSHORE ISLANDS / N IRELAND (£12)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days

Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £689.17
Price £827.00

Production Dates
Processed Date 17-10-2012
Pre-Production Date 23-10-2012
Build Date 30-10-2012
Test Date 30-10-2012
Awaiting Dispatch Date 30-10-2012
Dispatch Date 31-10-2012

So firstly the ordering:

After a few intial questions which were replied to quickly by PCS forum members I was ready to order. After some serious though I went ahead and ordered my Optimus IV and happily breezed through setting the spec for it. Then the dreaded wait...

Which actually turned out to be not so bad because I was expecting it to be a lot longer as there had currently been a shortage in the Optimus IV chassis.

Score: 10/10

Delivery:

I did ask initially for the parcel to be delivered to the back door, but was deliverd to the front, (I got my laptop, I didn't care.) Also the DPD van wasn't marked which confused me a bit, but to be honest the box was immaculate so I had no qualms with that, as long as a product is delivered safely then that's all that matters.

Score 10/10

Initial Inspection:

I carefully took everything out and checked it, everything looked perfect. After a few stories of people having some bad experiences of recently delivered items I thought I'd quickly open the access panels to make sure everything was still connected properly and everything was fine.

I have to admit, I wasn't really keen on the sharp edges around the case as my wrists rest upon them and get bloody sore after a while and the cheap feel of the plastic certainly represents the price of the laptop. Though niggly points aside, that isn't actually PCS's fault and I've grown used to the physical aspects of the laptop. Flex isn't an issue for me either as I always have the laptop on a flat surface.

Score 10/10

Initial Running:

This is where things went a little bad for me, basically there was a problem with the bios conflicting with Windows 8 which disabled audio on the speakers and HDMI. I did call PCS instantly but at the time I don't think they were well aware of those particular problems, it was only after some browsing of the forums that I found the bios problem. I did call again for a USB stick to repair it, but got no reply for a few days and after calling again found out that it hadn't actually been sent. This time the stick was delivered and I fixed the laptop.

Hopefully this is now fixed on new builds.

Score 8/10

General Running:

Fan noise if only on low power is very good and hardly audible and when gaming on full power sounds like a jet taking off, but this doesn't bother me as it keeps the CPU and GPU nice and cool.

Gaming on this 1080p screen is an absolute joy also and looks awesome, I don't want to even think about going back to a lower resolution! Also the screen brightness is crazy, I will mainly be viewing at about 25% full brightness, this'll be handy in the summer as I'll be able to use it outside in the sun with the matte screen.

Audio power initially wasn't great but again after some fiddling managed to up it, audio quality on the other hand is very clear.

The second HDD does get pretty warm, but considering the HDD isn't on constanly helps it to keep cool.

Lets put it this way, if I'm using battery on low power and surfing the web or watching Youtube most of the time the fan will be off same for the 2nd HDD, the first is an SSD so it's basically silent, not bad for a pretty beefy laptop!

Score 10/10

Conclusion:

So after having used the laptop for just over a month I'm absolutely loving it! When I need power for gaming it's there and when I need it to run for a long time on batteries I can get around 5 hours out of it.

Granted I did have a lot of problems to start off with, but after a lot of tinkering I've finally perfected the prefect set-up and is actually a very good laptop-spec for the price! If anyone is after a decently specced laptop without going over-the-top, then the Optimus IV is for you!

Overall Score 9/10

Thanks go to:

PCS for the great service.
The forum members for helping me to decide to get the Optimus IV.
Carl Auckland for personally building my laptop.
Ben Alderson for testing and QC'ing ny laptop.
Anthony Cunliffe for packing it away nicely.

I only have one pic for now, but I'll take some decent internal shots later.

Attachments

• DSCN0961.jpg
    DSCN0961.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCN0985.jpg
    DSCN0985.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 351
  • DSCN0993.jpg
    DSCN0993.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 325
  • DSCN0997.jpg
    DSCN0997.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 335
  • DSCN1004.jpg
    DSCN1004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 337
Last edited:

rabbbit

Nice review :)

I've been playing for my own copy of Optimus for a few hours now and got a couple of questions that bug me after reading:

Initial Running:

This is where things went a little bad for me, basically there was a problem with the bios conflicting with Windows 8 which disabled audio on the speakers and HDMI. I did call PCS instantly but at the time I don't think they were well aware of those particular problems, it was only after some browsing of the forums that I found the bios problem. I did call again for a USB stick to repair it, but got no reply for a few days and after calling again found out that it hadn't actually been sent. This time the stick was delivered and I fixed the laptop.

Hopefully this is now fixed on new builds.

Hah, was worried about that one - I just installed Windows 8 and the sound is not there. Could you give me some tips on how to fix it? Do I really have to wait for a usb stick to be delivered or .. ? Who to contact to get it done fast? :)

And second question - you've had no other problems with Windows 8? My Optimus came with a demo version of Windows 7 and seemed to be running fine .. but as soon as I installed my copy of Windows 8 things started to get more ugly - apart from that sound issue, graphics cards are not switching, Nvidia 310.90 drivers are not installing because they are apparently not compatible and the 'shortcuts' program throwing errors on each reboot.

It looks like I will be installing another windows soon :)

Pagey

Bright Spark
Firstly the sound issue: Get in touch with PCS asap for the USB stick to update the bios, (this will be the easiest route, but make sure it's sent before you hang up.) ;)

Secondly I've never been a fan of upgrading OS's, so if you have the Windows 8 OS install DVD then just do a fresh Windows 8 install, (I can verify that a fresh install of Windows 8 actually works very well.)

Finally some Windows 8 drivers can differ from Windows 7 drivers and iirc the driver disc that comes with it has Windows 7 drivers on, so it's safe to assume your current install of Windows 8 has Windows 7 drivers still there. This will most probably cause a few problems.

You'll find all Clevo drivers here. If you're using either the Optimus IV 15" or 17" versions, the model you're looking for is "W35xET/W37xET series".

If you've not done much on the laptop I'd advise strongly to, (if you can,) install Windows 8 fresh with nice new Windows 8 drivers from the Clevo site.

Bear in mind you need the "Hotkey Driver" to allow the VGA button to switch between GPU and iGPU.

Hope this helps.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great review, +rep :)

We have added your review to the configurator section on our website!

rabbbit

Firstly the sound issue: Get in touch with PCS asap for the USB stick to update the bios, (this will be the easiest route, but make sure it's sent before you hang up.) ;)

Secondly I've never been a fan of upgrading OS's, so if you have the Windows 8 OS install DVD then just do a fresh Windows 8 install, (I can verify that a fresh install of Windows 8 actually works very well.)

Finally some Windows 8 drivers can differ from Windows 7 drivers and iirc the driver disc that comes with it has Windows 7 drivers on, so it's safe to assume your current install of Windows 8 has Windows 7 drivers still there. This will most probably cause a few problems.

You'll find all Clevo drivers here. If you're using either the Optimus IV 15" or 17" versions, the model you're looking for is "W35xET/W37xET series".

If you've not done much on the laptop I'd advise strongly to, (if you can,) install Windows 8 fresh with nice new Windows 8 drivers from the Clevo site.

Bear in mind you need the "Hotkey Driver" to allow the VGA button to switch between GPU and iGPU.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again :D

But yeah, I started by doing a totally clean installation of windows 8. Did not help .. were you using drivers just from this site? Mixed CD/site? I was trying most up-to-date ones from realtek/intel web sites, maybe that's what caused the problem. Will re-try again once I get some free time.

btw, did you try installing newest NVIDIA drivers from their webpage? I seem to be getting some weird compatibility issue, don't know what the reason is yet .. :]

And, the BIOS - I will contact PCS about the stick, but .. do I have to wait for them to send it to me? I mean, is it a special PCS BIOS, or can I download it somewhere from Clevo webpage or .. ? :)

And thanks one more time :)

EDIT:

I can confirm that the correct BIOS for your chassis has been flashed before the laptop was dispatched. At this point it would be best to check that the drivers you are installing for the sound are the correct versions.

Pagey, could you tell me your current BIOS version? Do you remember your old version? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I have just ordered the same laptop and spec but with a 2nd 750gb HDD and with Windows 7 instead as I don't like the look of windows 8 unless its to be used with a touchscreen/tablet.

I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Pagey

Bright Spark
Thanks again :D

But yeah, I started by doing a totally clean installation of windows 8. Did not help .. were you using drivers just from this site? Mixed CD/site? I was trying most up-to-date ones from realtek/intel web sites, maybe that's what caused the problem. Will re-try again once I get some free time.

btw, did you try installing newest NVIDIA drivers from their webpage? I seem to be getting some weird compatibility issue, don't know what the reason is yet .. :]

And, the BIOS - I will contact PCS about the stick, but .. do I have to wait for them to send it to me? I mean, is it a special PCS BIOS, or can I download it somewhere from Clevo webpage or .. ? :)

And thanks one more time :)

EDIT:

Pagey, could you tell me your current BIOS version? Do you remember your old version? Thanks! :)

You're better off using the Win8 drivers from the Clevo site to be on the safe side, ignore the drivers on the disc, this'll guarantee you get the correct drivers for your OS.

I have the latest 310.90 Nvidia drivers installed with zero problems.

Are you running Windows Update once Windows 8 has installed to make sure ALL updates are done before installing the Clevo drivers? Another thing to note is that you don't need ALL the Windows 8 drivers to get a fully functioning system, (I will get back to you with the drivers I install.)

I'll also get back with my BIOS version.

EDIT: BIOS Version: 1.02.17

Optimal Installation Procedure:

1. wifi
2. Microsoft Updates, (you'll need to run this a couple of times to make sure everything is updated.)
3. Chipset Drivers
4. Cardreader Drivers
5. Touchpad Drivers
6. Hotkey Drivers
7. Audio Drivers
8. Bluetooth Drivers
9. Nvidia Drivers

You'll notice a few things not installed in that list, that's because Microsoft Updates installs them.

Hopefully this is of some help.

Last edited:

Pagey

Bright Spark
Thanks for the review. I have just ordered the same laptop and spec but with a 2nd 750gb HDD and with Windows 7 instead as I don't like the look of windows 8 unless its to be used with a touchscreen/tablet.

No worries! You certainly won't be let-down. :)

rabbbit

Thanks Pagey!

Will start re-downloading the drivers now, but for now:

I can confirm that the correct BIOS for your chassis has been flashed before the laptop was dispatched

Any my BIOS:
BIOS version: 1.00.08

Something does not add up here ( and it's not the first time ^^ )

Last edited:

Pagey

Bright Spark
Thanks Pagey!

Will start re-downloading the drivers now, but for now:

Any my BIOS:

Something does not add up here ( and it's not the first time ^^ )

I'm not entirely sure what to say here, but I'd advise giving PCS a call and say that you've checked with another Optimus IV user and that you BIOS version is an old one.

rabbbit

I'm not entirely sure what to say here, but I'd advise giving PCS a call and say that you've checked with another Optimus IV user and that you BIOS version is an old one.

Tried twice today, did not get through, and received one email confirming what we found out - that I need new BIOS. But no BIOS attached, nothing about flash drives and my reply ( 2 minutes after their email :p ) is waiting for the reply :)

I did send you a PM - you might be my salvation :)

juslaughter

Hi Pagey, could you let me know what settings you used for your sound. I've had a quick play with my new Optimus but it just sounds tinny on all settings. Thanks

Pagey

Bright Spark
First of all get rid of the THX drivers, the drivers have two setting for speakers and headphones and for some crazy reason it reduces the power to the speakers there.

Secondly the CLEVO sound drivers aren't too great, so you'd need to install the original Realtek drivers.

You can get them here.

You'll need to accept the terms first. Then you need to select one of the top two files, (should be in bold blue.) These are for Vista, Win 7/8, only other choice between them are 32/64 bit versions.

Once downloaded, uninstall the old audio drivers and install the new ones.

You'll find some nice sounds features in the settings, one being the EQ.

I should really do a guide for setting up an Optimus IV! XD

Hope this helps ya.

Mexa6

Hi Pagey
I am at the final stages of a decision on a gaming laptop for my lad after being offered a Toshiba Satellite P855-335 for £799 direct from Toshiba I found PCS with much more for your money. My budget was £800-900 and have decided on the Optimus IV after the good reviews and probably windows 7. I think the SSD's are a no brainer nower days anything to help speed thins up at a reasonable price. My last decision is the RAM. I know RAM is much cheaper than when i was building my own PC's and it always use to be Kingston is best, so should it be Kingston,Samsung or just get minimum cheapest fitted and buy maybe Corsair afterwards?

antjam

Hi markgray86

I was just wondering how your installation of windows 7 went? I have just bought this laptop with the windows 7 for the same reasons as you and am hoping you had a, relatively, trouble free installation.

Cheers

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Good review +rep.

On a side note we do flash the latest BIOS updates now on the Optimus chassis.