Finally pressed the 'pay button'

BT81

Enthusiast
After many many many months. I pressed pay! I know there are new CPUs from AMD due. But there is always something

Its due 29th Oct. However I am unsure if this is true date. As I ordered a 3080, and I hear they are out of stock until forever. Fingers crossed. I did wonder what manufacturer the 3080 is from.

Case
NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It’s likely you’ll be in pre production for some time so you’ll be able to swap in the 5600X CPU.

What monitor will you be using with the system?

BT81

Enthusiast
1440p 144hz monitor. Yeah, ideally it'll arrive before Christmas! :) worse things happening then waiting on a PC.
Plus, my first PC proper. So looking forward to it whenever it arrives

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The 3080 will be waaaaay overpowered for that monitor. You could easily change that to the 3070 (maybe even the 3060Ti, although we don’t have a confirmed release date on that yet) and spend the savings on the 5800X and a better case. Your storage looks a bit sparse, are you putting your own hard drives in?

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
The 3080 is not overpowered on a 1440p 144Hz monitor depending on what you are looking to do with it. If you are looking for high refresh rates, max graphic setting on really demanding games, like Shadow of the tomb raider, Metro even Metro exodus even (metro 2033 redux) Cyberpunk 2077 and so on, the card will be really good for them kind of games

If on the other hand you are playing games like fortnight, PubG, amongus CS:GO and so on, then a 3070 would prob better suit you, even the 3060ti if it ever comes out.

It really does come down to the games you are wanting to play, how high you want to crank the graphics setting and if you want high FPS all at the same time, in some of the most demanding titles. you may be happy being on hight settings and not max, and thats fine go for the 3070/3060 it's worth thinking about the type of games and setting you will be wanting to use :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
We’ve been through this time and time again and frankly it’s getting boring. The 3080 will essentially net you some extra shadows and effects that will make no real visual difference to what you see when you’re gaming. For the net cost of what you’d pay for for a 3080 compared to a 3070, it just isn’t worth it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you are looking for high refresh rates, max graphic setting on really demanding games, like Shadow of the tomb raider, Metro even Metro exodus even (metro 2033 redux) Cyberpunk 2077 and so on, the card will be really good for them kind of games
For those games, yes it would hover around 130 - 140fps.... but it's really not at all sensible to base a GPU decision on the most power hungry games in existence and those alone.

The rest of your library will be bottlenecked by the screen which is a really bad place to be in and an extreme waste of cash.

That is not a sensible approach to screen matching.

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
We’ve been through this time and time again and frankly it’s getting boring. The 3080 will essentially net you some extra shadows and effects that will make no real visual difference to what you see when you’re gaming. For the net cost of what you’d pay for for a 3080 compared to a 3070, it just isn’t worth it.
For those games, yes it would hover around 130 - 140fps.... but it's really not at all sensible to base a GPU decision on the most power hungry games in existence and those alone.

The rest of your library will be bottlenecked by the screen which is a really bad place to be in and an extreme waste of cash.

That is not a sensible approach to screen matching.
I was giving a person a different point of view, some want high refresh rates, other want hight resolution, we are not gatekeepers, we are here to offer advice, as my post said, "depending on what you are looking to do with it" I love the 3080, 1440p 144hz as I like playing the top demanding games at max setting, so do many other people.

We are here to advise, we have no right to say what someone should or shouldn't get, or how they should use it, we give advice, if they want to get a 3070 as they feel it's better for there needs, ill be happy, if they want a 3090 and only play CS:GO on a 720p monitor, again thats up to them, it's there money, we did the right thing, we give out the advice, we are not gatekeepers, we are not here to judge others for what they want to spend there money on, we are here to help and advise.

OP, if the 3070/3060 is a better card for your needs, please get it, as long as you have all sides, get the things thats going to make you happy, install Steam, and power through the games, have fun with your new build. :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
We are indeed here to advise, and the ethos is to get the person the best bang for the buck. I wouldn’t in good conscience want someone to pay over the odds for a system. We want to ensure they end up with a well rounded system to meet their needs.

What you’ve chosen to do is to throw in the wildcard titles that aren’t actually really designed to be played at the ultra settings, very much like how Crysis used to be regarded. If the OP had opened with the statement ‘I want to play Control at the highest settings possible’ I may have considered it. But.. they didn’t.

We offer advice from a practical standpoint and as SpyderTracks hinted at, the importance of screen matching really can’t be overstated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was giving a person a different point of view, some want high refresh rates, other want hight resolution, we are not gatekeepers, we are here to offer advice, as my post said, "depending on what you are looking to do with it" I love the 3080, 1440p 144hz as I like playing the top demanding games at max setting, so do many other people.

We are here to advise, we have no right to say what someone should or shouldn't get, or how they should use it, we give advice, if they want to get a 3070 as they feel it's better for there needs, ill be happy, if they want a 3090 and only play CS:GO on a 720p monitor, again thats up to them, it's there money, we did the right thing, we give out the advice, we are not gatekeepers, we are not here to judge others for what they want to spend there money on, we are here to help and advise.

OP, if the 3070/3060 is a better card for your needs, please get it, as long as you have all sides, get the things thats going to make you happy, install Steam, and power through the games, have fun with your new build. :)
Saying the 3080 is a 1440p card because of a handful of games is bad advice, that’s all. If you want FPS on a power hungry game you taylor the settings to suit.

And I'm not sure where the reference to Cyberpunk came from? There aren't even any benchmarks yet of it.

Last edited:

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
Saying the 3080 is a 1440p card because of one game is bad advice, that’s all.
My posts lists many games, and also goes on to state if that's not what the person is looking for then the 3070/3060 maybe a better card for them. I'd feel unappy if we advised and the OP was expecting to get top end graphics and FPS, but couldn't because they got the wrong card, same if they spent too much money on a card they don't need.

I'm not gonig to go back and forth on this, the information is there for the OP, I'm sure with more information they will be able to pick a card thats good for them and there usage.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That’s closing a conversation that’s still very much up for discussion.

As I previously mentioned, you’ve picked the absolute top tier games that ANY system would have to work very hard at.

So what I’d suggest is for us all to pipe down and wait for the OP to log back on, look at this post and think ‘holy hell, what have I created?’ and when they get back to us we’ll know the best way to advise.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The thing about advise is that it's very much affected by who is giving it. @SpyderTracks and @AgentCooper are very much known quantanties on here. They have proved the validity of their advice time and time again over long periods of time.

When looking for advise on here, or anywhere else for that matter, it's the advise from people that you trust that matters.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The thing about advise is that it's very much affected by who is giving it. @SpyderTracks and @AgentCooper are very much known quantanties on here. They have proved the validity of their advice time and time again over long periods of time.

When looking for advise on here, or anywhere else for that matter, it's the advise from people that you trust that matters.
That's so very true, and over the weeks that I've been on here I've had good advise from both @AgentCooper and @SpyderTracks

Gavras

Master Poster
It gets a bit like Groundhog Day.

a lot (if not all) comes down to individual preferences AND experience of PC games.

for the latter configuration of often poorly optimised games.

some graphic selections add pretty much zero to game play BUT steal a big chunk of FPS.

Even things like having mega realistic water in games such as Witcher, when running around fighting etc, who stops (other than 3080 owners) and goes ‘oh pwetty water’?

some ultra settings actually make things worse or bizarre, example playing Odyssey looking out over the Aegean, on high = 4 ships, on Ultra = 20 ships moving at warp speed, the latter just looks stupid and is big reason not to use Ultra.

Spending time looking through graphics settings of your current setup pre buying new card, should be first stop to working out what is required. A lot of an individuals decisions (for current pc owners) need to be based on their current games, simply using examples that push boundaries is pointless, case in point CyberPunk, how many forum members have played it and are qualified to state findings?

My Personal view on the OP’s build would be dropping to a 3070 (or even 3060) and using the saving on the CPU, thats on principle of CPU’s usually lasting life of PC and graphics cards being replaced every 3 - 4 years.

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
It gets a bit like Groundhog Day.

a lot (if not all) comes down to individual preferences AND experience of PC games.

for the latter configuration of often poorly optimised games.

some graphic selections add pretty much zero to game play BUT steal a big chunk of FPS.

Even things like having mega realistic water in games such as Witcher, when running around fighting etc, who stops (other than 3080 owners) and goes ‘oh pwetty water’?

some ultra settings actually make things worse or bizarre, example playing Odyssey looking out over the Aegean, on high = 4 ships, on Ultra = 20 ships moving at warp speed, the latter just looks stupid and is big reason not to use Ultra.

Spending time looking through graphics settings of your current setup pre buying new card, should be first stop to working out what is required. A lot of an individuals decisions (for current pc owners) need to be based on their current games, simply using examples that push boundaries is pointless, case in point CyberPunk, how many forum members have played it and are qualified to state findings?

My Personal view on the OP’s build would be dropping to a 3070 (or even 3060) and using the saving on the CPU, thats on principle of CPU’s usually lasting life of PC and graphics cards being replaced every 3 - 4 years.
"A lot of an individuals decisions (for current pc owners) need to be based on their current games" thats why I put "It really does come down to the games you are wanting to play, how high you want to crank the graphics setting"

I have played Shadow of the tomb raider, Rise of the tomb raider, MSFS2020, Forza mortasports 7, Sniper Elite 4, Rust, Control, metro 2033 redux, and I like the ‘oh pwetty water’? lol, my point was, as stated, it depends on what the OP is looking to do with there card, if they dont want to push setting, then good, get a 3070/3060 if they do, like I and many others do, then maybe the 3080 is a good choice.

Again, we are here to advise and help, giving more than one point of view "a 3080 on a 1440p monitor is a waist" is one point of view, I on the other hand have the card, and the monitor, and enjoy the max setting, so I am giving a different point of view on the 3080 and 1440p monitor.

And this all maybe much to do about nothing if the OP isn't looking to do what I and many others do, and thats crank up setting, let the OP look at the advice given, let them look at what they need and let them decide whats good for them, I'm still going to be happy with the advice I gave even if the OP drops to a 3070, I just want to help.

Last edited:

target680

Bronze Level Poster
"A lot of an individuals decisions (for current pc owners) need to be based on their current games" thats why I put "It really does come down to the games you are wanting to play, how high you want to crank the graphics setting"

I have played Shadow of the tomb raider, Rise of the tomb raider, MSFS2020, Forza mortasports 7, Sniper Elite 4, Rust, Control, metro 2033 redux, and I like the ‘oh pwetty water’? lol, my point was, as stated, it depends on what the OP is looking to do with there card, if they dont want to push setting, then good, get a 3070/3060 if they do, like I and many others do, then maybe the 3080 is a good choice.

Again, we are here to advise and help, giving more than one point of view "a 3080 on a 1440p monitor is a waist" is one point of view, I on the other hand have the card, and the monitor, and enjoy the max setting, so I am giving a different point of view on the 3080 and 1440p monitor.

And this all maybe much to do about nothing if the OP isn't looking to do what I and many others do, and thats crank up setting, let the OP look at the advice given, let them look at what they need and let them decide whats good for them, I'm still going to be happy with the advice I gave even if the OP drops to a 3070, I just want to help.
Just be thankful OP went with AMD not intel, then you will see some opinions sorry i meant advice lol.

BT81

Enthusiast
Woah! Some reading to wake up to :)

Ok. Yes, I suspect that the 3080 is overpowered for me currently.....
However, my purchase is based on the
1. I may actually get a system this year that can run ray tracing over the latest and greatest (CyberPunk) - However it would appear that the 3080 is rarer than [insert cliche about a rocking horse]
2. All the games talked about are older games. I have an Xbox X. And usually I'd be a console gamer. However, I'd like to move to PC Gaming now. So something as 'powerful' as the new Xbox would be nice.
3. If the 3070 is available prior to the 3080 I'll see if I can swap the build. But chances are, I'll probably pick up a 4k monitor in the future if this working from home carries on :)

What I will say is. I understand the comments. I'm not going in blind. I've waited 6 months to press pay! :) And I do appreciate the time someone has spent to read the comments and reply.

Re Storage. That was simply a cost thing. I figure the cost of drives always falls. I have an external drive at home that'll do the job 'in the meantime'

And who knows. Maybe the build will arrive on the 29th as the email from PCS states?

target680

Bronze Level Poster
Dont let anyone tell you how to spend your money. Enjoy, you have to start somewhere, whats the point of a monster monitor wihtout a pc to play it on.

Your build seems very nice. Storage etc is easy to upgrade. You have good bones there.

Just an fyi myself and others have been waiting for my 3080 build since the 17th. Been getting the automated emails since then. Just be pre pared to wait. Its a nightmare getting these card at the moment. Not a PCS thing at all just in general everywhere.

PC gaming is awesome night and day compare to consoles. Well worth the investment.

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
I can't wait for Cyberpunk either, I have been dreamin about playing it lol, if you do get the 3070, one way of looking at it is you'll be able to pay for Cyberpunk :) I got a free game assassin's creed valhalla that comes out on the 10th Nov, that looks good also.

I'm not sure if you have seen this thread it's about PC gaming deals, it maybe something to keep an eye on. I hope the system does come on the 29, good luck, hope you enjoy your system.