Fingerprint scanner

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys a few days ago my fingerprint scanner stopped working properly. It still sort of works but not as it should. I can no longer log in with it the only thing it does is open explorer if I try to use it ( I dont even use Explorer). When I start the true suite App it just stops responding.

I have tried updating drivers to no avail.

Any help would be greatly received many thanks in advance.

Chassis & Display Vortex Series:17.3" AUO Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3720QM (2.60GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 16GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) +
BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable 1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So what changed "a few days ago"? Hardware does fail on it's own of course but it's quite rare. If the fingerprint thingy was working up until a few days ago then it's likely something changed that stopped it. Did you install any Windows updates, driver updates, new software, new hardware etc. etc.?

If it was working prior to installing a batch of Windows updates then try a system restore back to before these updates and see if it works then (either backup everything or take a manual system restore point before you do that though).

It it was working prior to a driver update or new software installation then roll-back the driver or uninstall the software and see whether that helps.

You might even take a look in the Windows event log to see whether you had an strange errors starting a few days ago.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific or more helpful, but it's highly likley that a system change made a few days ago is responsible.

:)

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the reply matey I am pretty sure this is to do with a windows update. If i roll back and it works thats great but what do I do about the updte.

Many thanks again

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the reply matey I am pretty sure this is to do with a windows update. If i roll back and it works thats great but what do I do about the updte.

Many thanks again

If it's a single update then do some research to see whether this is a known issue and/or contact Microsoft and report it.

If it's a multiple update then you'll need to re-apply them one at a time until you find the one that causes the problem.