First time on a high end VR headset

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

I recently had the opportunity to have a go on a HTC Vive VR headset which had been set up at one of our offices as a demonstration of the varied technology currently on sale and one of the things we analyse. Whilst my field is focussed on computer security on a large-scale, we do sometimes buy nice little things to experiment with.

The computer powering the headset was an i7 with a GTX1080. The headset in question retails around £600 now and it was augmented with a pair of £200 headphones.

I didn't really know what to expect but I was completely blown away. I have already set in place my savings goals. I would just go and buy one now but I need to do some major home improvements in the next 12 months or so.

The games all ran from a Steam account and in the 30 minutes or so I got to have a play, I played a Star Wars game, where I had to defend R2D2 from Stormtroopers with a lightsabre. I wandered around a battlefield and I had a quick journey to some homes that someone had designed as VR homes and I could walk around them and see everything like I was really there.

I can't remember being so excited about a new purchase as an adult but I will buy one of these in the next year. I'll need to upgrade my graphics card too.

There are cheaper VR headsets but I wouldn't want to spend £200-£400 and have a lesser experience than the one I had.

If you do get to have a play on a VR system like this I would highly recommend doing so.

Frank100

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ha ha... you got the bug... I think that's the general concensus, everyone's like "Meh" until they try it, it is fun. There are some serious games that have just been released for it like Doom VFR, Fallout VR, LA Noire - The VR Case Files.... these are big name games with big game graphics on VR.... I haven't tried any yet, but they look really good.

The vive is the way to go too in my book, aside from being more expensive, it's a better experience in general, and they're releasing more and more 3rd party additions for it:

The vive tracker (modular addon to use any peripheral in game): https://www.vive.com/uk/vive-tracker/
On this subject, they're just about to release a gun, racket and club made to use with the tracker, but of course if you happen to have your own lying around...

Wireless operation: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/14/intel-wireless-vr-htc-vive/

Manus VR Gloves: https://manus-vr.com/

Haptic Gloves: https://www.vrgluv.com/

Most of these have either just been announced or are in Alpha / Beta stage, but the point is the application and interest for 3rd party developers is there which is lacking in the Oculus Rift. The Vive is the more luxurious and expensive option, but it's much more of an open platform I'd say, hopefully adoption will be there for it for some time.

There's a good guide on VR here for someone who's just getting into it: https://www.vrheads.com/htc-vive

Frank100

Rising Star
Spyder,

Thanks for the links to the accessories and to the guide. Very interesting read and it helps me work out how much annual leave I should book for when my VR kit eventually arrives.

It could become a very expensive hobby but I will need the gloves and a good range of games and better headphones means better movement of the sound as you move about.

I need to tidy up the house a bit too. I won't want to be tripping over stuff when I'm wherever I am.

Frank100

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Spyder,

Thanks for the links to the accessories and to the guide. Very interesting read and it helps me work out how much annual leave I should book for when my VR kit eventually arrives.

It could become a very expensive hobby but I will need the gloves and a good range of games and better headphones means better movement of the sound as you move about.

I need to tidy up the house a bit too. I won't want to be tripping over stuff when I'm wherever I am.

Frank100

That's the one thing that limits my potential fun with it is clear space, it really does improve enormously if you have a dedicated space for it. Mine is setup in the study which is very small and can only use it seated. In essence that's fine as it can be set up to be used in a static space, but in reality you find yourself reaching out and knocking surrounding furniture or leaning over and doing the same, it is a little frustrating. I'm hoping to move in a couple of years and fully intend to have a dedicated music/computer room which will be quite large for VR/Music.

EC2000

HTC VIVE is probably the best choice for high-end VR right now, although its a bit more pricey than Rift. Also - Rift has shady developers behind it (Facebook...) so I'd rather not support them.

Rakk

The Awesome
HTC VIVE is probably the best choice for high-end VR right now, although its a bit more pricey than Rift. Also - Rift has shady developers behind it (Facebook...) so I'd rather not support them.

However as I found out the HTC customer service was truly awful - which is why I ended up with a Rift instead :)