Fixing (D:) HDD making a slight grinding noise

Dylanbezz

Hi, I’m not technically savvy, but I bought my PC from here about 7 months ago, and was working fine until tonight, I was using something on my HDD when I noticed it was kept going on to not responding, and freezing the application for a minute or abouts, so I restarted the PC and went into Fixing (D:) mode its currently stuck on 24% on stage 1 and the time keeps going up, but while this is going on my PC is making a slight whirring or grinding noise I’m not too sure, does anyone know what this is, and if I’m going to have to replace the HDD? The specs are
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 16-Core Processor i9-12900K (3.2GHz) 30MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B760-PLUS WIFI D4 (LGA1700, PCIe5.0, USB 3.2)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support Bracket
NONE (BRACKET INCLUDED AS STANDARD ON 4070 Ti AND ABOVE)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR H100x RGB Elite High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
NOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Run a chkdsk /b /x on that HDD and post a screenshot of the last page of output. Note that you will have to reboot afterwards because the /x switch closes all open handles to the drive.

If that output shows any errors at all I would look at replacing the drive ASAP. In any case, be sure you have a regular backup of all the data on there.

Dylanbezz

Thanks for the advice, ive tried everything this morning, it went from not showing up on files page to finding out it, to using chkdsk, it couldn’t even find the drive, to unplugging it, and it then showing up and chkdsk saying it’s raw, there was nothing important installed on the drive only a few files I can re download, and I’ve bought a new one to replace it, will it be as simple as plugging the new one in where the old one was?