Flash 80W TDP Max-Q to 90W TDP vBios possible?

superswirl

Bronze Level Poster
Since the 2070 MQ and 2080 MQ come in 2 flavours (80W-90W) I'm really curious to find out if it would be possible to flash a 2070 Max-Q with an 80W TDP to a 2070 Max-Q to get that little extra juice...

Yes, I know it is not recommended, it will void your warranty, your laptop will burn, you will end up with an expensive paperweight and many many other very horrible things will happen to you etc... yarn

Truth is, I've flashed a ton of GPUs including laptop GPUs and never had a problem.

Also, we're only talking a 10W increase, thats not a lot. Most laptop with decent cooling could probably handle it and worse case will just thermal throttle.

It would be cool to allow those poor gimped 80W Max-Q cards to stretch their legs a little....

I'm an enthusiast, I like scorching hot laptops ; )

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Oh it'll definitely void the warranty.

So even if flashing of the vBIOS itself causes no problems, if you're unlucky and the GPU happens to die as components can do with little or no warning, you are left with a very expensive word processor.

I know you're happy with the risks, I'm just saying this for the benefit of anyone who doesn't who reads this thread and thinks this is a wizard idea without doing their homework :)

But turning to your actual question, it's unlikely anyone here will have the answer to that. I'd suggest trying the notebookreview forums as there's a lot of laptop specific expertise including with modified BIOSes.