Flaw in IE browser

Buzz

Master
My Opinion...Just use Chrome

A security flaw in Internet Explorer, spotted by Luxembourg-based security expert Eric Romang late last week, remains unpatched by Microsoft. The flaw is quite serious and can mean that users’ computers can get infected and taken control of if they simply visit a malicious website. Microsoft issued an advisory yesterday suggesting a temporary workaround and an advisory update 10 hours ago saying they are working on releasing a “one-click, full strength solution” in the “next few days”.

Poison Ivy

The zero-day Internet Explorer vulnerability which Mr Romang saw exploited, to infect his computer with “Poison Ivy”, is the subject of Microsoft Security Advisory 2757760. The advisory mentions that IE10 is not affected and there is a temporary workaround available for other IE version users. The temporary fix involves installing the free Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), setting all your security zones to “High” thus blocking ActiveX Controls and Active Scripting. Then you must white-list trusted sites by adding them to the Internet Explorer Trusted Sites zone. An article on PCPro, quoting a McAfee employee, suggests it would be easier to simply ditch IE and download Google Chrome.

German government computer says no

The German government's Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) “urged the public on Tuesday to temporarily stop using Microsoft Corp's Internet Explorer” according to a news story published by Reuters today. The BSI advise using another browser for the time being, due to fears of “a fast spreading of the code”.

More
reuters

Yamikotai

Expert
I have to :(
My employer only has IE on every computer, I am not able to install google chrome. Some marking software I have to use does not work with Chrome, so stuck with IE for now.

Pretty much the main reason why IE is still so prevalent - because it's all that companies support and don't want to spend the money switching/adding support for other browsers (despite how stupidly insecure older versions of IE are).
When I'm a professional penetration tester I'll aim to abuse companies' IE use so much they'll have no choice but to switch :p

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Chrome is by far the best, especially with the extensions i have now that have greatly increased my loading speeds, such as adblock, speed dial, Auto HD for YT and Hover Zoom, not to mention its faster than other browsers without extensions except maxthon although that doesnt display most pages very well

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I like firefox...that's it really...nothing else to say....

redpanda-1.jpg

Who doesn't?

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I have to :(
My employer only has IE on every computer, I am not able to install google chrome. Some marking software I have to use does not work with Chrome, so stuck with IE for now.

You can get firefox portable. I can't install anything on my uni PCs too but as it's self contained you can keep it on a USB or save it in your documents.

Also since we're talking about red pandas here's to increase the lv of cuteness of this thread by 10000

[video=youtube;uYj17t1aPbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYj17t1aPbo[/video]

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Im pretty lucky, my college has quite a few installed and you can choose what one you want (this is mainly for programming and web development) although their website only works properly through IE :/