Forced username instead of letting me choose my own

DazBlade

I initially contacted "[email protected]" but they said they cannot assist me and suggested I posted a message here as you don't have any "Contact Us" or "Support" option.

You have given me a username (DarVic) which I do not like and I should be able to choose my own username.

When I logged in then it states I cannot change me username until May 23 2021.
This is unfair because you have forced an unwanted username on me instead of letting me choose my own username.

Please can you contact me directly so that I can provide you with the username that I actually want?

Rakk

The Awesome
Do note that of course that obviously its the weekend at the mo, so moosEh may not see your PM til during the week

DazBlade

Do note that of course that obviously its the weekend at the mo, so moosEh may not see your PM til during the week
Thanks for the reply.
I note you and Steaky360 are both moderators & have both replied.
So I was wondering if either of you guys have the admin rights to change my username?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks for the reply.
I note you and Steaky360 are both moderators & have both replied.
So I was wondering if either of you guys have the admin rights to change my username?
No, that’s not a power we’ve had handed to us 👍

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Also be aware that @moosEh is a PCS manager as well as the forum administrator and he is consequently insanely busy at present. He is generally pretty good at checking on the forums but your name change might not happen quite as fast as you'd like. He will get to you as soon as he's able though. :)

DazBlade

Also be aware that @moosEh is a PCS manager as well as the forum administrator and he is consequently insanely busy at present. He is generally pretty good at checking on the forums but your name change might not happen quite as fast as you'd like. He will get to you as soon as he's able though. :)
Thanks for the reply.
With all the replies in mind, then my suggestion would be to simply allow new members to choose their own username from the start as is standard practice within Forums.
I've never come across this before within a forum. All the (many) forums I have been involved with allow users to change their username whenever they wish which I firmly believe is the correct way of managing a forum.

But hey, I really do appreciate all the replies - some of the quickest replies I have experienced - so thanks guys, I think I'm going to like it here.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
my suggestion would be to simply allow new members to choose their own username from the start as is standard practice within Forums.
I've never come across this before within a forum.
I seem to recall that I picked my own username when I joined, are you sure you didn’t just miss something? Or has something in the registration process changed since July of last year?

DazBlade

I seem to recall that I picked my own username when I joined, are you sure you didn’t just miss something? Or has something in the registration process changed since July of last year?
I was never given the opportunity to choose my own username. I ticked the option to join the forum, during my purchase. But my account was automatically created for me and I was not given any choice to create my own account. This is how their purchase system works so it does look like they have made changes since you joined.

I know my username will get sorted out but it is just a shame that new members have to go through this unnecessary process which is very frustrating.

Rakk

The Awesome
I was never given the opportunity to choose my own username. I ticked the option to join the forum, during my purchase. But my account was automatically created for me and I was not given any choice to create my own account. This is how their purchase system works so it does look like they have made changes since you joined.

I know my username will get sorted out but it is just a shame that new members have to go through this unnecessary process which is very frustrating.

I think it doesn't give a choice when you join from there, I think that's may be the difference, whereas if you join from the actual forums you do get the choice.

I have a feeling changing your name was disallowed because it made it a lot more difficult for the mods to keep an eye on people that we thought they needed to because they could freely change their name and there was no simple way for us to find whoever was 'PersonToKeepAnEyeOn'

Bhuna50

Author Level
OK if you click your user name in the top right hand corner and select 'Account Details', the top of that page has 'Username' and I used a button near there to change my username.

However, I cant check it at the moment as I recently changed my username and it says I cannot change again until the end of the month.

It might be as you are new though that this option is disabled for 30 days or something.

DazBlade

Unfortunately I don't get an option to change my username which is why I have posted here for help to get it changed without having to wait.
I initially contacted PCS but they said this forum is nothing to do with them and they have no control over it as it is run by people who do not work for PCS which I found rather bizarre to be honest especially as the forum is used to get help etc. Why wouldn't a company want to control their own forum, very strange indeed.
But either way, I have no option to change my forum usernam and was advised by PCS to contact the people who run the forum.

1619294854910.png

Bhuna50

Author Level
Yes - the option isnt there as you have only just joined - it will appear after 23 May - but I expect Mooseh will have done it by then for you.

Rakk

The Awesome
Unfortunately I don't get an option to change my username which is why I have posted here for help to get it changed without having to wait.
I initially contacted PCS but they said this forum is nothing to do with them and they have no control over it as it is run by people who do not work for PCS which I found rather bizarre to be honest especially as the forum is used to get help etc. Why wouldn't a company want to control their own forum, very strange indeed.

The mods do not work for PCS and we don't have all the relevant permissions to do everything but do generally look after most of the day-to-day stuff, however the main admin (moosEh) does defintely work for PCS and has every permission there is - so if he decides we're doing bad stuff he can just de-mod us so we're not immune to anything, but yeah I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for his response to your DM.

As shown by Bhuna50 you obviously can change your username but only once every so often (I wasnt even sure you could, I was wrong :)), and creating the account obviously counted as your name being set, thus the timer

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
PCS do control their own forums of course.

There are several forum administrators who all work for PCS - though @moosEh is the principal administrator. These administrators have full control over all aspects of the forum (all administrators are PCS employees). There are also several moderators who work for PCS. Moderators handle the day-to-day management of the forums and generally ensure that the forum rules are being adhered to and that this is a friendly place to be.

PCS have asked a few selected forum members, none of whom work for PCS, to also take on moderator status so that the PCS staff members can get on with their proper jobs of getting builds out the door. Consequently almost all of the day-to-day management of the forums is done by a handful of people who don't work for PCS and are not paid by PCS - we're all volunteers. We are of course responsible to PCS for our actions and we are overseen and managed by the forum administrators. Unfortunately our moderator status does not allow us to do any real damage change things like user names, that's why you have to wait for a forum administrator to do that for you. :)