Four beeps

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
OK. So having a few teething problems since getting my PC on Tuesday.

Worked fine for the first couple of days, whilst I updated Windows 10 and a couple of out of date drivers.

Then yesterday ... it wouldn't turn on fully. Lots of RGB loveliness in the case, but screen blank.
After a pause (5-8s), I get Beeeep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Powered down. Unplugged.
I took the lid off. Wiggled all the connectors to make sure they were in properly. Tried again. Same beeps.
Unplugged and reseated the memory sticks. Boots fine. Ah great. Maybe they came loose in transit.

And then today. Same thing. Wiggled everything. Reseated the RAM. Nope.
And again. And again.
Rebooted and hit Del/F2 to enter bios to see if there was anything obvious. I cannot read a bios screen but there was nothing flashing up as "Error". F10 to save and reboot. And its fine again.

According to the ASUS manual One long beep, plus three short beeps means No VGA detected.

Is that referring to the graphics card? Or the display (which is plugged into the graphics card)?

1612438883326.png

steaky360

Its often (but not always) referring to the graphics card, the most unfortunate thing is that the 5800x doesn't have onboard graphics, do you have a second GPU you could potentially plug in and try?

If you've already been through trying to re-seat everything (including unplugging the GPU and plugging it back into the PC). I'd suggest you get in touch with PCS for a potential RMA.

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Steaky360. I will try reseating the graphics card (I just gave it a wiggle previously). And yes, I still have my old rig (GTX 930) which I can swap it in to see if the fault goes away. Will try over the w/e to see if it works. Otherwise ... RMA on Monday.

SodaO

Thanks Steaky360. I will try reseating the graphics card (I just gave it a wiggle previously). And yes, I still have my old rig (GTX 930) which I can swap it in to see if the fault goes away. Will try over the w/e to see if it works. Otherwise ... RMA on Monday.
This is fairly common, to varying degrees with the RTX 30 cards. Asus (for their RTX cards) have actually included a BIOS update to fix it. For others, disabling CSM support in the BIOS is a fix. For mine, I just need to make sure my monitor is on and set to DP if I've used it on HDMI for my laptop. My sense is that there's some sort of delay between the GPU recognising that it's connected to a monitor during the boot process. If the system doesn't detect being connected to a monitor it will give you an error message. Some mobos will still boot but others won't. Of course, you may have other issues so not saying yours is the same as everyone else but it's worth a Google in the meantime. Lot's of info out there on 4 (graphics related) beeps and RTX 30 cards.

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
Sodao - Thank you for that diagnosis. That could well be the problem. I have been swapping between laptop (HDMI) and new PC with 3070 (DP). That would also explain why the problem appears and disappears. I had also noticed that sometimes I still get 4 beeps, but everything seems to work ok ... it just takes the PC a little longer to boot up.

Will start to Google.