FPS and 1080p monitor

matt1983

Hi

I currently have a 1600x900 monitor, 20 inch...in order to hopefully improve my gaming experience looking to upgrade to at 1080p 24".

My question is, would the difference in picture quality be worthwhile, and what sort of impact on Frame rates would it have? Getting around 40fps now on Xplane after much work, so wouldn't want that the dip again.

Does it as general rule reduce the frame rates by 10%..20% etc??

Thanks

steaky360

There isn't a general rule unfortunately. It depends very much on your hardware and the games involved. It's a fair jump to move from a 1600x900 monitor to a 1920x1080 monitor (the actual size of the monitor doesn't matter to your graphics card) so you should expect a performance hit running at higher resolutions.

matt1983

hmmm decisions, decisions.... really don't know what to do.

Don't want to lose my frame rate much, can you set it back to previous resolution if the fps take a big hit, or will that just look odd?

BTW
spec
FX6300 overclocked
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD R9270x card

steaky360

You should be able to, just check the supported resolutions on whatever monitor you are looking at to see what it supports.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
You're looking at your 44% more pixels roughly that your GPU would have to power... a significant amount... which would mean a significant drop in FPS I would assume. Though it wouldn't be a direct correlation with % decrease though I wouldn't have thought.