Fractal Define 7 case - how to install new 5.25" drive

alastc

Hi there,

I have a lovely new desktop running great, and I'm trying to upgrade the blu-ray drive without disrupting anything else.

It should be straightforward, but the screw on the far (right hand) side is behind a panel, I can't seem to get to it.

Picture from the open side, where I can get to the side screw:
img1.jpg

Picture from the closed side, the drive is behind the top-left corner:
img2.jpg

Close up of the area:
img3.jpg

Is anyone familiar with this case, and how I get in without (hopefully) having to re-wire anything.

alastc

I can see how that should work, but if you look at the first picture the area by the top tab is actually behind the blu-ray drive, it doesn't budge.

However, knowing that's how it's supposed to work, I opened it at the bottom, took off the front-fan, and twisted the whole panel slightly clockwise to get it out from behind the drive.

Looking at the instruction manual, it looks like that plastic panel is supposed to be removed when you install a 5.25" drive, and not put back. I think I'll leave it off, 'cause it really doesn't want to go back in!

Thanks,

-Alastair

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I can see how that should work, but if you look at the first picture the area by the top tab is actually behind the blu-ray drive, it doesn't budge.

However, knowing that's how it's supposed to work, I opened it at the bottom, took off the front-fan, and twisted the whole panel slightly clockwise to get it out from behind the drive.

Looking at the instruction manual, it looks like that plastic panel is supposed to be removed when you install a 5.25" drive, and not put back. I think I'll leave it off, 'cause it really doesn't want to go back in!

Thanks,

-Alastair
Ah, ok, that's good to know, we can advise others that come across the same issue.

Ollybear

I have a Fractal Design 7 case on the way. What is the maximum length of top mounted radiator that can be used if an optical drive is installed please?

alastc

@Ollybear - I'm not sure, I'm working on it today and I'd rather not turn it off. However, I do have the Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series, with the fan-unit at the top, which fits comfortably.

alastc

Here's a picture of the insides when I had just received it:
img4.jpg

So it has the standard blu-ray drive and the H115i along the top.

They are fairly tight, but I didn't have problems (with that aspect) when updating the blu-ray drive, the cables behind it were fine.