Fractal Design Ridge - the impossible case

nubus

Hi - need a bit of help configuring a SFF PC using the Fractal Design Ridge case.

Case: FRACTAL RIDGE Mini ITX Case (WHITE)
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650I AORUS ULTRA (Mini-ITX, AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6E)
Graphics Card: 8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6600
Power Supply: Corsair SF850L 850W 80 PLUS® Gold Certified High Performance SFX-L PSU
Processor Cooling: STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

The configurator only allow standard Intel (65W) and AMD (105W) coolers. No Intel CPU is capable of staying within 65W. Even with AMD it severely limits the CPU options. Fractal suggest the Noctua NH-L9x65 - not in the configurator.

To makes things worse the configurator demands a SFX-L PSU. The only option is a super expensive 850W unit. Fractal doesn't demand SFX-L. Corsair have several more sensible SFX models around 550W - none of them in the configurator.

Any suggestions for configuring the Ridge?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi - need a bit of help configuring a SFF PC using the Fractal Design Ridge case.

Case: FRACTAL RIDGE Mini ITX Case (WHITE)
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650I AORUS ULTRA (Mini-ITX, AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6E)
Graphics Card: 8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6600
Power Supply: Corsair SF850L 850W 80 PLUS® Gold Certified High Performance SFX-L PSU
Processor Cooling: STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

The configurator only allow standard Intel (65W) and AMD (105W) coolers. No Intel CPU is capable of staying within 65W. Even with AMD it severely limits the CPU options. Fractal suggest the Noctua NH-L9x65 - not in the configurator.

To makes things worse the configurator demands a SFX-L PSU. The only option is a super expensive 850W unit. Fractal doesn't demand SFX-L. Corsair have several more sensible SFX models around 550W - none of them in the configurator.

Any suggestions for configuring the Ridge?

nubus

Eh... well.. I already did read the FAQ, posted according to guidelines (got a quote, used the styling etc.) - and then... I get hit by the same FAQ by a non-SFF user with no PCS computer?

I simply asked if the community could find a way around the configurator conundrum. I did write to PCS on Sunday but haven't heard from them - and even if they get back, it would be nice to have some input from those that have built SFF configs.

nubus

PCS don’t/can’t stock every possible component, so the options shown will be limited to 1) what they offer; 2) what’s in stock; 3) what's available that they believe will fit.

Absolutely. I really like their use of ISO 9001, the curated selection of quality components, and the 3 year warranty. I'm just a bit surprised by the fact that they stock a case that can't be used to build a computer. Will have to wait for PCS to respond by mail.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Eh... well.. I already did read the FAQ, posted according to guidelines (got a quote, used the styling etc.) - and then... I get hit by the same FAQ by a non-SFF user with no PCS computer?

I simply asked if the community could find a way around the configurator conundrum. I did write to PCS on Sunday but haven't heard from them - and even if they get back, it would be nice to have some input from those that have built SFF configs.

None of us work for PCS so we can't really answer any of your queries. We would typically recommend avoiding SFF systems for any sort of power use (Gaming, rendering, etc). I personally had one years ago for the living room and it sounded like a jet engine trying to keep cool. I just don't think the limitations of the systems are worth the small form factor.

Regarding the FAQ, I'm not sure which one you are referring to but there has been no formatting, styling or etc in your first post above. This is the information that we would need for more meaningful engagement. If this isn't what you are after in any way then there's not a lot else the forum users can do. It's the PCS sales team you want to engage with. Giving a call is the most effective way to get in touch.