Fresh Build or New Components?

DannyJ29

Hi all,

Around 4 and a half years ago now I took the plunge and ordered my first ever gaming pc having been a console gamer all my days. I didn’t have much of a clue (still don’t) about all the different components etc, all I knew at the time was that I wanted a good pc to play Fortnite on and after a bit of research managed to get myself one that done the job. Specs as below:

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 275R TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700 (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3210MB/sR | 1315MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
500GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 535MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 120 Series High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11 Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I AC 1734Mbps + BT5 PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

I’m now looking to make the switch completely from console to pc and need some advice on how my build stacks up these days for what I’m looking for and whether I should start completely from scratch or if there’s some components from my original build that are still worth using?

See below for my needs and further info:

Main goal - To have a pc that’s capable to hitting around 140fps on first person shooters with graphics set to a decent level.
Uses - I’m looking to use it mainly as a gaming pc for triple A titles (mostly first person shooters) with the ability to use it for work (emails and browsing) and music production (FL studio).
Monitor - I currently have a 1980x1080 144Hz monitor. I’m happy with this for now but I’d like to build my pc with 1440p gaming in mind so I can upgrade this at a later stage.
Budget - My max budget is around £1,200 for a new build if it’s the best way to go.

Questions that I need help with:

1. Is my build of a good enough standard that I can upgrade a couple of components to get it where I need it to be?
2. If the answer to 1 is yes then which parts should I upgrade and to what?.
3. If the answer to 1 is no could you comment a build that’s capable of meeting my requirements for my budget?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you wanted to upgrade it (that would net you far better performance than if you were to buy a £1200 new build

Then you'd need to upgrade the following:

PSU: Up to around 850W - roughly £120
GPU: RX6750XT - roughly £350
Better cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Elite- roughly £140
RAM: 2 x 16Gb 3200MHz DIMMS - roughly £70

That would see you through for another good 4 years or so.

If you're uncomfortable doing the upgrades, PCS can do it for you for a fee, you can check out upgrade options in your order on your main PCS account

If you bought a system with £1200 it wouldn't be an upgrade at all, and you certainly wouldn't get 1440p territory.

DannyJ29

Thanks SpyderTracks.

Just out of curiosity, what would my budget need to be if I was looking to branch into the 1440p territory?