Friend's PC turning on, but not displaying

CaptainFreezy

Hi all,

My friend has a problem with his PC that I hope some of you could help with. When he turns the PC on, the lights and fans all come on. However, the cpu fan appears to come on at a very loud level and stays constant at it. Meanwhile nothing displays on the monitor and it eventually goes into power saving.

Specs are I believe as follows
I5-4670K (Stock Cooler)
Gigabyte z-87X motherboard
8GB RAM*** Could this be the problem?
GTX 760
CS650

Steps all ready tried
Replacing all leads to GPU and monitor
Checking lose connections
changing power outlets.

I'm going round on thursday to take a look at it. At the minute I'm wondering about removing GPU and seeing if it displays anything on mobo graphics or changing the mobo slot ram is plugged into (Does anyone think this would actually do anything?)

All tips would be greatly appreciated and very helpful, just like they were when I chose my PCS specs :D

Thank you

Ally

ItsPhire

Gold Level Poster
Reading this leads me to assume that it's an issue with the graphics card however there may also be an issue with the CPU fan but as it's the stock cooler this is generally very loud.

googly777

Hi, I'm having the same problems, set my sons new PC up this morning but its not displaying. Did you have a look and find out what was wrong?

Any help would be great, I've got a very disappointed son here!

Thanks
Mat

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, I'm having the same problems, set my sons new PC up this morning but its not displaying. Did you have a look and find out what was wrong?

Thanks
Mat

Make sure you've got the monitor plugged into the graphics card output and not the motherboards, sorry if that sounds redundant, but it's usually the first oversight.

CaptainFreezy

Hello guys,

Just a quick update, Graphics card was removed and monitor plugged into motherboard but still nothing. Still to check Ram.

Quick background update, problem started around 1 month ago. The computer would usually turn on and display, however ocassionaly it would not. Over the course of the next 2 weeks the problem started to get more and more apparent until around 1 week ago where it stopped displaying all the time. I'm wondering what you guys think of this, because I'm wondering whether his hard drive is nearly dead. We're going to see if disconnecting hard drive at least lets PC boot into bios or display anything at all on screen.

Thanks for your support

Last edited:

CaptainFreezy

Thanks
Mat

Hi Mat, nope still investigating. Hopefully we can find a fix soon. Will let you know if we find a fix.

googly777

Hi, this ones got integrated graphics so there's no separate graphics card inputs. The spec is the off the shelf 'Elite XT'. I've also noticed no lights show on the keyboard when the tower is first switched on. Its as if all the sockets on the rear of the machine are not active. Is this a possibility? How could I test it? I plugged the tower into my TV PC socket and got no picture there either so I don't think its the monitor that's at fault. Any help would be most appreciated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, this ones got integrated graphics so there's no separate graphics card inputs. The spec is the off the shelf 'Elite XT'. I've also noticed no lights show on the keyboard when the tower is first switched on. Its as if all the sockets on the rear of the machine are not active. Is this a possibility? How could I test it? I plugged the tower into my TV PC socket and got no picture there either so I don't think its the monitor that's at fault. Any help would be most appreciated.

The ports on the rear are directly off the motherboard, physically soldered on, so if they're not active it's because the motherboard is dead, or not enough juice is being sent through by the PSU.

I'd check all the cables to the motherboard, take them out and reseat them, sometimes things can get dislodged in transit.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello guys,

Just a quick update, Graphics card was removed and monitor plugged into motherboard but still nothing. Still to check Ram.

Quick background update, problem started around 1 month ago. The computer would usually turn on and display, however ocassionaly it would not. Over the course of the next 2 weeks the problem started to get more and more apparent until around 1 week ago where it stopped displaying all the time. I'm wondering what you guys think of this, because I'm wondering whether his hard drive is nearly dead. We're going to see if disconnecting hard drive at least lets PC boot into bios or display anything at all on screen.

Thanks for your support

When you switch to on board graphics, this will need to be set in the bios as it will still be defaulting to the PCI-e output. Can you enter the bios at all? Even if the hard drive had failed (sounds more like graphics issues to me as hard drive failure would cause bsods or failed post), it would still enter the bios.

CaptainFreezy

When you switch to on board graphics, this will need to be set in the bios as it will still be defaulting to the PCI-e output. Can you enter the bios at all? Even if the hard drive had failed (sounds more like graphics issues to me as hard drive failure would cause bsods or failed post), it would still enter the bios.

Nope unable to enter bios, PC switches on, monitor flickers between shades of black, then swaps through modes, then goes onto standby, not even a chance to reach the bios, nothing ever shows. Does that mean it won't be possible to setup onboard graphics?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nope unable to enter bios, PC switches on, monitor flickers between shades of black, then swaps through modes, then goes onto standby, not even a chance to reach the bios, nothing ever shows. Does that mean it won't be possible to setup onboard graphics?

Sounds like a dead graphics card if you can't even see bios. Drivers aren't loaded until after the bios so if it were a software issue you see the bios and then get artefact issues. If you're not getting anything pre post then it points to a dead graphics card I would say.

CaptainFreezy

Sounds like a dead graphics card if you can't even see bios. Drivers aren't loaded until after the bios so if it were a software issue you see the bios and then get artefact issues. If you're not getting anything pre post then it points to a dead graphics card I would say.

Yep I see exactly where you're coming from there. Unfortunate as this would be his third dead graphics card. Looks like it'll be another graphics card then. Will have a thourgh look in it next week. Any other steps you'd recommend or is it pretty much a case of just replacing the dedicated gpu?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep I see exactly where you're coming from there. Unfortunate as this would be his third dead graphics card. Looks like it'll be another graphics card then. Will have a thourgh look in it next week. Any other steps you'd recommend or is it pretty much a case of just replacing the dedicated gpu?

Yeah, your PSU will handle any card, so long as the case does, but shouldn't be a problem. Just a case of plugging in the new card.

CaptainFreezy

Yeah, your PSU will handle any card, so long as the case does, but shouldn't be a problem. Just a case of plugging in the new card.

Yep, thankfully his gpu is only 6 months old so should hopefully just be a case of an rma to Asus. Thanks for your help. I'll post anymore news as I get it. +Rep to you Spyder :D