From a DELL Dimension 9150 to this

As a relative novice with computer spec I am looking to upgrade. Partly due to the age of the old thingummy and also changes to windows.
I am using it for home computing and also video & picture editing, watching i player and generally getting more use out of a computer than I currently do.

Speed and memory are important so just wondered how much quicker, better, more useable the new spec will be.

Thanks for looking.

Case ZALMAN Z11 PLUS BLACK MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-M: MICRO-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 32GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 8GB)
Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP (Special Offer)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
(7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM (£26)
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System Genuine Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Office Software FREE 60 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 2010 Professional Edition
Anti-Virus NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2013 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£9) *SPECIAL*
Warranty 3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
(£69)
Home Installation Technician Assisted Installation & Set-Up (£79)

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

I would second both of the above points.

I also wonder if you'd actually need as much as 32GB now. I have a number of work PCs which I use for various intensive tasks including some video editing. I've got one dual Xeon for example with 64GB in it but I never used more than about 9GB or 10GB. My more 'normal' PCs, i.e. i7s all have 16GB and all seem quite happy.

You might have something very ambitious in mind but it would be worth investigating having 16GB of 1600Mhz memory (2x8GB). This leaves you room to add more in the future, it will be a bit cheaper and you'll get the maximum speed from the memory because the Ivy chip natively runs its memory controller at 1600Mhz.

If you have some spare funds a SSD would add some performance if you put your OS, your programs and the files you are editing on the SSD. The regular disk could then be your storage drive only. This would add £100 or so to your build but I think it would be good for performance. The Intel 520 series has good stats and I hear good things about it from people who have them.

or your purposes the ivy bridge i7-3770 is a better choice and will outperform the sandy bridge i7-2700k which is an older series.

The 570 is also an older card and if you can go with the current 6xx series such as 660 Ti or the great value 670 this would be beneficial.

Hi, thanks, about £1200

Hi,

I would second both of the above points.

I also wonder if you'd actually need as much as 32GB now. I have a number of work PCs which I use for various intensive tasks including some video editing. I've got one dual Xeon for example with 64GB in it but I never used more than about 9GB or 10GB. My more 'normal' PCs, i.e. i7s all have 16GB and all seem quite happy.

You might have something very ambitious in mind but it would be worth investigating having 16GB of 1600Mhz memory (2x8GB). This leaves you room to add more in the future, it will be a bit cheaper and you'll get the maximum speed from the memory because the Ivy chip natively runs its memory controller at 1600Mhz.

If you have some spare funds a SSD would add some performance if you put your OS, your programs and the files you are editing on the SSD. The regular disk could then be your storage drive only. This would add £100 or so to your build but I think it would be good for performance. The Intel 520 series has good stats and I hear good things about it from people who have them

Thanks for the valuable advice. I have never had to Hard drives but appreciate the flexibility say for storing my photos videos.

Cheers

keynes

Multiverse Poster
or your purposes the ivy bridge i7-3770 is a better choice and will outperform the sandy bridge i7-2700k which is an older series.

The 570 is also an older card and if you can go with the current 6xx series such as 660 Ti or the great value 670 this would be beneficial.

Hi, thanks, about £1200

Morning,
I'd also suggest what Tiberias and Frank mentioned above. Any particular reason for the Home Installation Technician Assisted Installation & Set-Up (£79) ? Instructions are going to be provided with your build, in my case it was connecting the monitor to the tower and the power cable and turning it on.

Dell 9150 to this. Attempt No 2

Removed as a sensible piece of advice.

Thank you for the support and knowledgeable answers and comments.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You may want to stick to one thread so you can get better advice in terms of what you are planning to use it for. You may want to consider the P8Z77-V LX, it is cheaper and has more expansion slots and a caviar black as the secondary drive.

Morning,
I'd also suggest what Tiberias and Frank mentioned above. Any particular reason for the Home Installation Technician Assisted Installation & Set-Up (£79) ? Instructions are going to be provided with your build, in my case it was connecting the monitor to the tower and the power cable and turning it on.

Thanks, I naively thought they would set it up. If that's all it is I will do it myself

Cheers