Front case fan not connected

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Hi I just recieved my PC and I popped off the front case panel of my fractal design R3 midi case to find that the front 140mm intake fan isn't connected, the power lead is kinda dangling in no man's land.

Is this normal?

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
I think so yeah. When I got mine, the side intake fan wasn't connected. This was because of the packaging that PCS put inside your case to help protect it during transportation. I'm assuming its a 3 pin male connector? Just look for a female counterpart. It may be on your motherboard or it may be a separate connection coming off a molex adapter

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
I think so yeah. When I got mine, the side intake fan wasn't connected. This was because of the packaging that PCS put inside your case to help protect it during transportation. I'm assuming its a 3 pin male connector? Just look for a female counterpart. It may be on your motherboard or it may be a separate connection coming off a molex adapter

Yeah It's a 3 pin connector. I'm just curious because it says nothing in the notices about them removing this connector, I'm thinking it's been forgotten.

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
I was in the same boat..i had no references to it being disconnected on purpose so I gave them a ring and they explained to me exactly what I've told you. It is a bit worrying when you first see it especially if your a novice with the internals of a computer like me. Can you see anywhere for it to plug into?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Well after doing some thinking I remember that at the front of my case there is a fan controller... After looking online apparently people connect the front fan to this. I think I've solved it although I'm away from my computer for 2 days now :-( haha

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Ah, didn't realise you had a fan controller. Yeah, you should just be able to plug it into that. How many case fans do you have?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Ah, didn't realise you had a fan controller. Yeah, you should just be able to plug it into that. How many case fans do you have?

Well it's just like a little slider that says "4V,6V,12V" but it doesn't connect to anything at the moment I don't think! I have 1 140mm fan at the front, one 12cm on the roof and one fan at the back, then another PSU fan at the back!

Another thing is though, at start up there's like a whirring sound and it's quite loud from the PC and it's there in start up for like 10 seconds then disappears. It then does it randomly every so often?

steaky360

Well it's just like a little slider that says "4V,6V,12V" but it doesn't connect to anything at the moment I don't think! I have 1 140mm fan at the front, one 12cm on the roof and one fan at the back, then another PSU fan at the back!

Another thing is though, at start up there's like a whirring sound and it's quite loud from the PC and it's there in start up for like 10 seconds then disappears. It then does it randomly every so often?

The slider will be the fan controller, according to Fractal, this can support up to 3 fans, inside of the case (most likely near the controller) you should be able to see 3 sets of pins on which you can plug up to three fans. The 3 settings (voltages) are basically "Low, Medium and High" fan speeds. If your fan cables can reach the controller its probably worthwhile plugging them into the controller (not the CPU fan however, that needs to be plugged into the motherboard). If they don't reach, you could get some fan cable extensions or just plug them into the motherboard (or just leave any connected fans as they are :) to save you hassle).

Sounds like the whirring could be the CPU fan, they often spin up during start up and then calm down again, you can check by taking a look at it when the PC starts up, you should be able to pinpoint where the whirring is coming from. It might be worth checking to see if its still firmly attached (it should be, but it could have come loose slightly during transit I guess). If the whirring starts to become more frequent and its happening even when the PC is idle I'd get in touch with PCS (or on here) for advice.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
The slider will be the fan controller, according to Fractal, this can support up to 3 fans, inside of the case (most likely near the controller) you should be able to see 3 sets of pins on which you can plug up to three fans. The 3 settings (voltages) are basically "Low, Medium and High" fan speeds. If your fan cables can reach the controller its probably worthwhile plugging them into the controller (not the CPU fan however, that needs to be plugged into the motherboard). If they don't reach, you could get some fan cable extensions or just plug them into the motherboard (or just leave any connected fans as they are :) to save you hassle).

Sounds like the whirring could be the CPU fan, they often spin up during start up and then calm down again, you can check by taking a look at it when the PC starts up, you should be able to pinpoint where the whirring is coming from. It might be worth checking to see if its still firmly attached (it should be, but it could have come loose slightly during transit I guess). If the whirring starts to become more frequent and its happening even when the PC is idle I'd get in touch with PCS (or on here) for advice.

Thanks for this! Yeah I think I may leave the connected ones connected ones... Connected :p However the noise 'whirs' up when I was transferring something from an external hdd to the computer. I wonder if because the front fan wasn't on, the other fans were working harder to cool?

steaky360

Possibly, but I would say that's unlikely, especially as transferring stuff from an external HDD to the computer should not cause it to heat up really. It might have just been the hard drive (internal or external really) working overtime with the transfer?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Possibly, but I would say that's unlikely, especially as transferring stuff from an external HDD to the computer should not cause it to heat up really. It might have just been the hard drive (internal or external really) working overtime with the transfer?

Yeah I found it isn't the fan but the HDD like you said! I also found that the PC has an intake floor fan which means there are three fans connected to the fan controller and that's why the front fan isn't connected. Also my temps are fine and at idle my CpU is 30 degrees and ny GPU (GTX770) is 32 degrees.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Got home to look at the pc and found that I don't have a clue what the fan controller is connected to, it seems to go to the motherboard... I'm so confused! I thought it would be a simple task of just plugging it in to the fan controller... Clearly I'm going to have to open it up again:..

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Got home to look at the pc and found that I don't have a clue what the fan controller is connected to, it seems to go to the motherboard... I'm so confused! I thought it would be a simple task of just plugging it in to the fan controller... Clearly I'm going to have to open it up again:..

What fan controller do you have?

steaky360

I think the op is talking about the fan controller built into the chassis. It should be connected to the PSU, not so sure about the motherboard. Unless it gets its power from one of the fan headers (which seems odd to me).

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
I think the op is talking about the fan controller built into the chassis. It should be connected to the PSU, not so sure about the motherboard. Unless it gets its power from one of the fan headers (which seems odd to me).

Maybe it is, I was just throwing out random suggestions, I get home on friday so I can have a proper look. However I am probably just going to plug the front fan in to the motherboard!

steaky360

Should be easy enough to plug the front fan into a motherboard header (assuming it'll reach) if not then a fan extension cable is cheap and would do the trick.

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Well the lead is quite long! It should reach no problem. I've emailed PCS to see why the fan wasn't connected and I'll see what they say. Currently I have 1 140mm floor intake, 1 roof 120mm exhaust and one 120mm (i believe) back exhaust. So my cooling is fine but I just feel like the front intake is much more effective than a floor intake.