FrostFlow 200 air cooler

llama

Hi,

I am a very happy owner of a PCS laptop. I got curious with the new Ryzen, so I went to the configurator to check what was available and get an idea of the costs.

Long story short I see that most of the cpu coolers are liquid coolers. Is it because they are safer to ship? (In case of damage during transportation).

Has someone got experience with the FrostFlow air coolers? (Which seems to be the only air cooler available). I can`t seem to find information and it looks like the new Ryzens tends to get to high temperatures.

It looks like the 100, 150 and 200 are all air cooled if I interpret correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think it's more because the new CPU's are pulling a lot of power and generating a lot of heat and the liquid coolers are much more efficient at cooling in general so they are more capable of handling it

You'd need a very high end air cooler to cope with those chips

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi,

I am a very happy owner of a PCS laptop. I got curious with the new Ryzen, so I went to the configurator to check what was available and get an idea of the costs.

Long story short I see that most of the cpu coolers are liquid coolers. Is it because they are safer to ship? (In case of damage during transportation).

Has someone got experience with the FrostFlow air coolers? (Which seems to be the only air cooler available). I can`t seem to find information and it looks like the new Ryzens tends to get to high temperatures.

It looks like the 100, 150 and 200 are all air cooled if I interpret correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Heya!

As you say the 80, 100, 150 and 200 are all tower coolers, the 120 240 and 360 are liquid coolers as they're fan sizes (240 being 2x 120 and 360 being 3x 120). All the PCS Coolers are rebranded models of ID Cooling units and from what I can tell the closest match to the FF200 from IDC is the SE-207. There isn't a tonne of info on them however I was able to find this which is the SE207 being compared to a number of other dual tower coolers

I should really get round to making that thread 😂

llama

Personally I prefer high end air coolers as I think there`s lesser things that can go wrong compared to liquid coolers. Even if I have to lower a little bit the cpu clock it`s not a big deal for me. Many thanks for the feedback :)

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Personally I prefer high end air coolers as I think there`s lesser things that can go wrong compared to liquid coolers. Even if I have to lower a little bit the cpu clock it`s not a big deal for me. Many thanks for the feedback :)
PCS don't offer high-end air coolers. Frankly I prefer them too, for all kinds of reasons, but if you want one you'd have to fit it yourself.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
PCS don't offer high-end air coolers. Frankly I prefer them too, for all kinds of reasons, but if you want one you'd have to fit it yourself.
There's been a few Noctua's make a flash appearance over the last couple of years so we know the contact is there. Would be real nice to see them be a more permanent feature 🙏

llama

Me too. To buy and fit yourself a high end air cooler does not make lots of sense to me.

The purpose of buying a pre-built pc to me it would be to rely on a reliable company like PCS to do all the work, tests and have a warranty on the whole system so that you do not have to worry/spend time on it for a while.

I`m not even sure but potentially changing the air cooler might even void the warranty?

I agree 100%. Well one can always ask who knows maybe PCS will listen ;)

As previously pointed out by Steveyg I think the issue is that these new CPUs (and I guess it is going to be the same if not worse for the new Intel counter parts) really tend to heat up a lot unless you lower their clock/voltage.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Me too. To buy and fit yourself a high end air cooler does not make lots of sense to me.

The purpose of buying a pre-built pc to me it would be to rely on a reliable company like PCS to do all the work, tests and have a warranty on the whole system so that you do not have to worry/spend time on it for a while.

I`m not even sure but potentially changing the air cooler might even void the warranty?

I agree 100%. Well one can always ask who knows maybe PCS will listen ;)

As previously pointed out by Steveyg I think the issue is that these new CPUs (and I guess it is going to be the same if not worse for the new Intel counter parts) really tend to heat up a lot unless you lower their clock/voltage.
Changing the cooler would not void a PCS warranty, though of course the new cooler wouldn't be covered by the warranty, likewise any damage done during the installation.

It's clearly not economical to sell high end air coolers on a regular basis: if it was, you can be sure they would.

I myself bought the AMD stock cooler and fitted the NH-D15S to it. It wasn't a difficult process, so recommended if that is fully what you want. But if you want PCS to do it for you, the choices are definitely limited!

Last edited:

llama

Changing the cooler would not void a PCS warranty, though of course the new cooler wouldn't be covered by the warranty, likewise any damage done during the installation.

It's clearly not economical to sell high end air coolers on a regular basis: if it was, you can be sure they would.

I myself bought the AMD stock cooler and fitted the NH-D15S to it. It wasn't a difficult process, so recommended if that is fully what you want. But if you want PCS to do it for you, the choices are definitely limited!

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely an interesting period with all of these new processors/platforms/ram/video cards hitting the market soon.