Frozen laptop

Jago

Hi, when I start up my laptop it shows the little "thinking wheel" and what ever it is doing it does not allow me to do anything. I mean I can even move the mouse. How do I reset it? I imagine it will have to be done from the F8 button. All suggestions welcome.
Jago

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Have you got your OS disk that came with it? If so you will need to boot from that and see if a reinstallation of windows fixes the problem. Do bear in mind it will wipe all data on the drive so if you have important data you cannot afford to loose then do not do the following as it will erase all data forever.

Locate your disk
Insert it into the CD drive
Boot the computer and press whatever key to enter the BIOS and change the boot priority so the CD drive is first
Perform a clean installation of the OS

As I said earlier if you have data you can loose you could try some of the recovery tools but hopefully you have backed everything up and can just go ahead with the clean installation.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
There's a few things you could try before reinstalling Windows.
Assuming it's Windows you're using,try a system restore point from the OS disk,failing that try a startup repair from the same source.
If no joy,see if you can boot in safemode,if so,
type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press enter.
On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
On the startup tab disable all.
Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
Click apply/OK.then restart.
if pc boots normally you need to isolate the problem startup item selectively,
for example enable the top half of start up items,if computer doesn't start normally you know one of the enabled startup items is the problem and so on.