Frustrating!

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
My GTX 960 arrived today. Unfortunately, the PCI-E power cable I bought to go with it doesn't fit my PSU. The 6 pin slot I thought I could use is actually for IDE/SATA. My PSU (Seasonic X-560) has two 12 pin sockets for PCI-E, for which it came with two 12 pin to dual 6/8 pin cables, neither of which I can now find (having put them somewhere 3/4 years ago when I built the PC and moved house several times since then).

So, I have a GTX 960 sitting in my PC with fans spinning but no power to actually work. I was using onboard graphics until now, so I can only play GTA in a 800x600 window at a very poor frame rate.

I can find a company that supplies the correct cable, but only in America, so it would be quite expensive to get another. In fact, it's only a little more to get a replacements PSU, one of which is on the way from Amazon (next day delivery!). Meanwhile, Seasonic customer support have said that if they find a cable (my particular PSU model has been discontinued for a good while), they'll send it free of charge - props to them for that.

I'd be happy to mod the cable I have, if I could find out the correct pin configuration. Such information seems difficult to find. The guy from Seasonic also suggested I might be able to use the HDD socket, but that I should be careful of the pins, but couldn't offer any source of information to help with that.

First world problems, I know, but frustrating nonetheless! If anyone knows of a less drastic solution than a new PSU, I'd be happy to hear it. The Seasonic is a great PSU and was twice the price of the replacement I've ordered, but I can't justify the price of as good a PSU when I can get the cable delivered from the US.