Fusion IV 14" for Music Production: 24hr Review

Hi All,

After a solid 3 weeks of deliberating on a new laptop, an order attempt that resulting in me returning it within the evening of receiving it (Dell Inspiron plastic-y bleurgh), I am happy to say I received my Fusion IV 14" laptop- and so far, am delighted. There doesn't seem to be much around the net on these TongFang chassis laptops compared to the other Clevo offerings - particularly for music production - so I wanted to provide an insight for others. It's worth saying I haven't had a Windows machine since 2011: since then I've had one beloved Macbook Pro (early 2011) and was ultimately going to be very picky about my next laptop: I wanted to spend about a grand, and for it to last a good few years at the least. Goes without saying I now feel Apple have had their day. I wasn't going to touch their new product range to pay ridiculous prices for outdated tech, IOS updates forcing upgrades, touchpad rubbish, DDR3 RAM, soldered components... I also looked into the 'Z' books (not sure I can mention competitor's names? Hopefully that complies with forum rules!)

I was torn between the Fusion IV and Lafite Pro: the Lafite appears better in musical terms (twin RAM slots, no dedicated GPU), but went for the Fusion as I am an architect and do the odd bit of 3D modelling and rendering so the MX250 may come in handy some day. Plus, the Fusion has an extra USB slot, and just looks better in dark grey IMO.. I'm glad I went for the Fusion now as it is such a looker. As a note, I don't game: this isn't really a gaming laptop in any case.

I've had it a full day so far, so these are opening thoughts more than much else. I have to thank the PCS staff who kindly answered a few queries prior to the purchase. The below might in several instances compare to the 13.3" MBP - for those who might have been in a similar position to me more than anything.

Look/Feel:
Well, the pictures don't do it justice. It looks stunning, is tiny and feels as well built as any laptop I've ever used! The chassis is solid and reassuringly mettalic (matte gunmetal, drool..), a got a tiny amount of flex on the bottom but you wouldn't notice unless you really prodded for it. Screen opens reassuringly, no real issues with flex across the screen unless you really went for it (note: don't). It is smaller and (much) lighter than my 13.3" MBP. The bezel is 5mm at the sides - it's very impressive. The chin looks big in the PCS photos, but it's really not.

Keyboard:
Feels surprisingly good for how it looks! I've always had a chicklet style and was worried about lack of spacing between keys but it's been totally fine. Decent key travel indeed. Certainly not worried about it. The fan options key is pretty cool (note: it will make loads of noise when powering up: it's in gaming mode. Hit fn+F5 and it'll simmer into a completely silent office mode). The caps lock light is pretty funny as the only indication it's on is an extra light under the keys: I entered a few wrong passwords before noticing. It's fine. The keys are set above the chassis but that gives you extra travel. This = good. Altogether a solid feeling keyboard. I'm not a fan of the 'gaming' font, but that's so picky there's no point reading into it..

Trackpad:
I haven't had the stuttering/jittering issues other people have noted, but it's not as accurate as, say, a MBP trackpad. It's certainly not a best-in-class, but I don't mind at all (and I do photoshop work etc.) - it's still pretty good and the multi-finger gestures are very responsive (I had no idea Windows supports 3-key swipe up/down: I use it loads, it's brilliant.). The chassis meets the keyboard beautifully at the bottom of the trackpad and it's actually one of my favourite parts of the design: it's gorgeous.

Screen:
So very sharp (compared to what I'm used to anyway). I've not had a matte screen before but I've got to say it's great - no reflection. I can't vouch for brightness - as too bright, and I get migraines - but I'm actually pleased with how dim it goes for that very reason. Haven't gone looking for backlight bleed; it seems fine. Will do some visual work at some point and report back..

Components:
I was minded to go with a custom build with 500GB Samsung 970 EVO SSD, however when I saw there was a pre-built option that had exactly the specs i wanted but with 512GB intel SSD, I just went for it as I could get next day delivery and save £150 overall. I can only assume the saving is to do with not needing to custom assemble it, but I feel happy with the responsiveness of this build. It's the i7 10510U processor and single stick of 16GB RAM. It's not going to rip apart the latest games, but for a notebook solution it feels capable.

Battery:
Seems pretty good - it's reporting 5 hours on pretty intensive use: I got about that today doing work on a remote desktop, playing music etc. I did have issues with it out the box as it said it was charged at 100%, so I removed the charger. It lasted 5mins, then kaput. Well, the battery reading was off. Anyway I left it to charge for an hour or so then it's been fine ever since.

I/O:
Well, I can't find another laptop for this size and money that has 3 USB a ports and one USB C. It's great. I can get USB sticks in all of them without issue: a bit snug, yes, but I can't see how that would ever be a problem. The port locations on both sides are a bit odd once you've plugged in a mouse, the charger, USB interfaces etc. but it's alright. The charger angle is one downside; it's a weird angle but to be honest, that's being picky.

Drivers:
Ah, Windows. This is more for people transitioning back from the dark side. I haven't missed the world of drivers but actually setting up Ableton and the Focusrite was completely painless. For me, Asio4all has not been as good as the Focusrite interface in Ableton (if helpful for anyone - to most, this will have been obvious as the Foscurite is a dedicated soundcard.. It took me some trial & error..).

Audio Latency:
Big one for musos. I'm not going into DPC latency as I don't completely understand it. I use Ableton Live 10, have a Focusrite Scarlett and make psychadelic / electronic music - as I've discovered, using a shedload of (mainly native) plugins, audio and MIDI tracks. I'll have about 6-8 vocal layers with a chain (w/ compressors, EQs) on each. I'm usually around 20-30 tracks. I was slightly nervous about switching from Mac due to dreaded latency issues and found I needed to do some tweaking. I got some pretty worrying Latencymon results to start with, then found with some battery/power setting tweaks, then disabling the Wifi adaptor had me happily in the green. I disabled the graphics card for the worse reading: it didn't appear to be the issue anyway. I can report recording vocals on a blank-ish track at 32 samples pop free. That's astonishing. I should say that even without tweaking the system I had no real issues: the CPU seems to be strong enough to power through. The single slot of RAM doesn't appear to be an issue.

CPU:
..Well, in Ableton anyway! I duplicated all the tracks in the Ableton demo song three times and chucked a load more compressors and reverb on top; it reported around 25% CPU with a few dropouts but otherwise fine. I tried this on my MBP and it hit 85% CPU then very quickly 125% and struggled. I know I'm comparing old tech with new - but again - for those who might have been in a similar situation to me. I know I will probably the ceiling at some point, but I'm well aware if I want to do very heavy work I'll buy a desktop. It's not got to that point yet thought.

Summary:
So this is 24 hours in - I can't really think of anything else to report but I plan to update as I go. I meant to try the webcam and mic but work was too busy today (ironically, without the usual frequent video calls..). I hope that's helpful anyway for some people considering the Fusion IV for music and I can't recommend PCS enough for their prompt response times and prompt delivery. I guess the biggest caveat to all this is I'm not professing to be hugely knowledgeable on really any of the subject matter, but can nerd out to a reasonable extent.

Altogether, I can't see how you can buy a better build for the money. I'm pretty picky - particularly in the build quality department - and I'm keeping it. Hopefully that should be a sway for anyone considering it. I've got it in front of me - if anyone else is considering buying it I hope I can answer any questions!

Sam

IMG_20200611_123342-min.jpg
IMG_20200611_165312-min.jpg
IMG_20200612_142314-min.jpgIMG_20200612_102759-min.jpgLatency 2020-06-12.PNGLatency 2020-06-12_no Wifi.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_104352-min.jpg
    IMG_20200612_104352-min.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 324

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That is a seriously thorough review, really appreciate you taking the time to do that and very pleased you're happy with it.

I think a lot of people are making the move from Mac for audio, we've had a surge of people recently doing just that. I'm still on Mac as I really love Logic, but for all the benfits it brings, I've heard Ableton is very up there in terms of usability and functionality, so I think I'm gonna check it out.

Latency isn't so much an issue unless you're doing live recording but then Windows just isn't suitable and either Mac or Linux would be the go to. Linux is making some seriously strong strides in the Audio space, keep your eye out as I think it will overtake Mac for latency and robustness also.

Again, really appreciate the effort you put into this.

If you have any problems, do post here, we've got some strong regulars who are always happy to help out.

Glad it was of some help!

On live recordings I think even on my old mac I wasn't able to record with no latency whatsoever: I've become so used to recording with monitors off now that it's more a technique (and it's kind of weird going to studios and being able to hear myself real time!). The ol' headphones on half/half, then I just track myself singing or playing guitar by ear.. Or better, I just shout an an old tape machine :ROFLMAO:

Certainly against an old-ish Mac, latency wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, after some tweaking: I guess that's an interesting opinion to it being unsuitable (and hard to swallow a day after switching back to windows after mac: there's got to be a reason so many studios do use Windows?!) - but for sure once a few tracks are in I can't imagine it will be seamless. I do definitely agree that music production on Windows is a labour of love in comparison.

Ableton just keeps getting better. I nearly got Logic once but decided to stick with Ableton as I'd learnt it initially for live performance, then realised it was a DAW - that and ofc Logic is Mac only. To my mind, any software that limits itself to one OS is already a sticking point for future proofing. Having said that, very few CAD/BIM platforms run on Mac.. Anyway, that's another discussion!

I forgot to add the CPU head to head (Ableton test song) was at 512 samples playback on each.

Hadn't even looked into Linux to be honest! I'd seen some people had issues with Linux on these laptops in particular, but was always minded to run Windows.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Certainly against an old-ish Mac, latency wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, after some tweaking: I guess that's an interesting opinion to it being unsuitable (and hard to swallow a day after switching back to windows after mac: there's got to be a reason so many studios do use Windows?!) - but for sure once a few tracks are in I can't imagine it will be seamless. I do definitely agree that music production on Windows is a labour of love in comparison.
I think that's the key with windows, out of the box, latency will be pretty awful, it just takes a bit of tweaking and then it's much much better. It's just not optimised out of the box. With the renewed interest in Windows for Audio, hopefully MS will dedicate some time to the latency aspect.

Ableton just keeps getting better. I nearly got Logic once but decided to stick with Ableton as I'd learnt it initially for live performance, then realised it was a DAW - that and ofc Logic is Mac only. To my mind, any software that limits itself to one OS is already a sticking point for future proofing.
Yeah, I think when I got into all this, Logic really was the DAW for digital workflows, but that's all changed now and they're all pretty excellent for different types of workflows. I love the MacOS, but the hardware really lets it down over the last 5 years or so, and I don't think I'll get another MBP, think I'll finally make the move to windows and Ableton. All my plugins are multi platform so there's no issue there which is what I'm most concerned about.

There's new rumours that Apple are ditching Intel CPU's next year for their own Arm based processors (such as the ones in iPad and iPhone), so that will be interesting to see how they fare.

Just keep your ears open to the Linux world, I think some pretty great things will be happening with regards to audio, perhaps not for another 5 years. We'll see, should be interesting.

Bukky

Thanks for the thorough review !!
(I'm really amazed by what the 10510U seems to be able to achieve in Ableton)

Now for the general topic of DAWs and music :
I've worked as a composer and sound engineer for many years now and to be fair I've used Windows for at least 10 years without problems (or without "too many problems" :) )
The times when you had to work with Macs and Pro Tools/Logic are long gone.
Even with live recording, actually.
As for Ableton, yes it is a great software but it's till not the best depending on what you want to do. When I work on loop-based tracks or electronic music Ableton Live is my go-to but it is not if I want to compose for stage music or anything linear really, like orchestral... I also record french versions of some US and UK shows and I would never record/post prod the voices and final mixes with Ableton either. I think it's very good at what it does but it's not an all-rounder at all, like Reaper or Logic.
(and for the adventurous musicians, i would advise trying Bitwig because that modular approach to Daw is absolutely brilliant)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The times when you had to work with Macs and Pro Tools/Logic are long gone.
Even with live recording, actually.
That's interesting, so what do you use for live recordings? Pro Tools?

I always assumed live stuff was still Mac oriented because of latency specifically, but sounds like that is based on the old days also.

Bukky

Well it really depends on what I'm recording but I've recorded live multitracks with Cakewalk, Reaper and Ableton without problems.
I use cakewalk when I record the voices of both commentators for the shows I work on, and when I produce music I record multitrack instruments with any of those DAWs depending on the project. Reaper is probably the most stable of them but it's the one I like the least for producing actual tracks.
(and when I record multitracks I use my Babyface Pro linked to my good old Fireface 800 via ADAT, works like a charm even recording 8 voices at the same time)

(and I still wonder wether to get Vyper, Recoil or Nova to work when I'm away form the studio :S )

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well it really depends on what I'm recording but I've recorded live multitracks with Cakewalk, Reaper and Ableton without problems.
I use cakewalk when I record the voices of both commentators for the shows I work on, and when I produce music I record multitrack instruments with any of those DAWs depending on the project. Reaper is probably the most stable of them but it's the one I like the least for producing actual tracks.
(and when I record multitracks I use my Babyface Pro linked to my good old Fireface 800 via ADAT, works like a charm even recording 8 voices at the same time)

(and I still wonder wether to get Vyper, Recoil or Nova to work when I'm away form the studio :S )
I've been hearing a lot about Reaper in the last year, seems to be making big strides.

Thanks for the thorough review !!
(I'm really amazed by what the 10510U seems to be able to achieve in Ableton)
(and for the adventurous musicians, i would advise trying Bitwig because that modular approach to Daw is absolutely brilliant)

No worries! Likewise- the processor seems pretty good so far. Bitwig looks nuts, will definitely have a look..

There's new rumours that Apple are ditching Intel CPU's next year for their own Arm based processors (such as the ones in iPad and iPhone), so that will be interesting to see how they fare.

Just keep your ears open to the Linux world, I think some pretty great things will be happening with regards to audio, perhaps not for another 5 years. We'll see, should be interesting.

So I read through my initial reply and thought 'wow, I did sound dismissive on the Linux front..!' - will certainly keep an eye out; looks like there are probably no issues installing on PCS builds (Initially I didn't know there would ever be compatibility issues anyway)..

So Linux does appear to install ok on these machines
I saw somewhere that people had got Ubuntu loaded in no problems also. Oussebon's very helpful post here also for those interested:

Anything open source seems to be fantastic these days (apart from some software) - and is challenging why people are paying for software when there are such capable rivals for little or no money. I was also going to mention Reaper as per @Bukky 's response above: they seem to have very good rep and would be a good shout if you were ever considering moving to a cross-platform DAW. It's SUCH good value as a package and has a bridge allowing you to use your old beloved 32bit plugins (where Ableton refuses to do so). Moving over from one DAW to another isn't easy though - I had a look around before spending my hard-earned cash on Ableton live 10, but the fact is, once you know one, it's hard to switch over! If I'd learned Logic I would definitely resist changing over (kudos to you if you are going to learn a new one!).

Yeah shame on the Mac front: their loss. Honestly I just feel like if they'd upped their hardware for this year, I might have considered spending the extra. The other ridiculous thing Apple insist on doing is to make sweeping assumptions about how people will use their products. 2 thunderbolt 3's on the latest MBP Pro, whilst one is being used for charging? So that's 1 port. Yeah I could get a dongle.. Operative word being 'could'..

Got to say, the Fusion IV was hugely attractive just for the amount of I/O: I use this plugged into a monitor, USB interface and a mouse as a 'flexible desktop' solution as I like to do work/music around the house / go into the only other room in our flat to record when my SO is watching the Great British Sewing Bee... And I've got 2 spare ports for USB sticks and a keyboard. I can't see how a laptop with 1 usable port (MBP) could ever provide that solution; but then Apply have already made the assumption I wouldn't be using their products for that anyway..

edleonard

Hi interesting review.
I believe the only gripes with these are:
Trackpad is suboptimal
Ports are very tight.

Does that hold true now you've had extra time with it? Thinking of buying one of these as a Linux development setup.

Hi Ed,

In physical terms, yes. To be honest, I'd much rather the ports are a tight fit - my old laptop had a loose USB port and is was constantly a pain with my audio card disconnecting, cutting out sound etc. Can't see that happening now; to me that's no gripe! New one: my 'E' key sometimes doesn't register when I type. Weird, but I have to say it is an absolute joy to type on overall.

Some sleep issues (it has 3 times now decided to keep going to sleep every 2 minutes, and does not sleep when the lid is closed, which is REALLY annoying) but these appear to be Windows 10 issues so you won't have those. There's a note somewhere above referring to another thread on people installing Linux on these and compatibility - seems to be a popular thing to do (or request at least!).

Trackpad is not great and if there was an option to have an uprated/glass one then that would be a great thing for PCS (TongFang?) to consider. As above, I use a mouse a lot of the time thought so it's not a dealbreaker.

Otherwise, in performance terms, it's a powerhouse. For music, it's been pretty exceptional considering its size and weight, price.

I did mean to do a later review in more depth, but have made a few notes:
  • Gaming: I said I wasn't a gamer, but having realised it has a serviceable graphics card, I gave it a go. I've been so impressed. It runs pretty flawless on a few games I've played (even RDR2 on low graphics settings is completely fine). The CPU heats up to around 75'C (I think higher at times) which seems normal.
    • Screen does weird things with auto brightness - particularly when plugged into an external monitor. Can only imagine again a Windows thing?
      • Fn Lock button does not appear to do anything. Used keytweak but can't get shortcuts to i.e., screen brightness which would be handy considering the above. I would prefer for screen brightness to be primary function rather than F9, F10, but can't seem to solve this (previous mac owner habit)
Hope that's of some help!?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Here is the Linux compatibility thread:

edleonard

That's great Samuel,
Thanks for your reply and to spydertracks too. Agreed on the ports, loose ports are a real nightmare. I suppose the main throw-off would be the trackpad which I would use. My typical use-case would be a dual boot, so as I know they're Windows-centric builds the compatibility there isn't a question. From the specs I've seen/potentially looked at there seems to be Linux support so again I expected that to work out OK, or not be too far away from updated drivers etc.

I'm trying to work out if I'd be better opting for an external eGPU for the crunching and a lesser spec given I'll need mobility but want a bit of churn power when docked at home. I should just go for a workstation/base unit box, but mobility is a right-off there.

Much appreciated for the reply. I hope the machine brings you a lot of happiness and some nice tracks on the music production.
Best regards
Ed

It certainly has so far!

I realised my previous post came across as slightly derogatory but I must reiterate that overall it's a great laptop, I'm really pleased with it. The build quality is great and the size is absolutely spot on for someone who wants to use it on the go, but also uses an external monitor at home. The ample hardware connectivity is probably my favourite facet - where almost all laptops now available are culling ports, the Fusion has 5 usb variants AND an HDMI. Plus an ethernet which I have actually used!

Thanks spidertracks for the link - I was in a hurry so didn't get a chance to track that thread down.

eGPUs do look like a great idea indeed - I was looking into a unit by Razer but if memory serves it required a thunderbolt port, which the Fusion IV does not have. I'm sure there there are others that can utilise a USB C (or similar) and I have found the C port to be very quick indeed. Might even look into that again myself!

All the best with your purchase, if there's anything else I might be able to help with, do lobby it here and I'll do what I can! I know there aren't too many reviews out there on this model.