Future Proof Custom Setup

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Before we get started below are the current specs of my custom built PC:-

Case: COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0
Memory (RAM): 32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1st: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
Graphics Card 2nd: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
SSD: 238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Seri SCSI Disk Device (SSD)
Optical Drive: 8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

It's time for an upgrade and I have saved up some money. At the moment I have around £1500 to spend on the build

The new build will be used for Video Editing along with Gaming. The build must be able to handle 4K content. Software's such as Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects will be used.
It must be as much RGB lighting possible, I would like to take advantage of Aura Sync: Perfect Lighting Synchronization.

What do you think of the following specs:-

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE :- The case has 9 expansion slots for multiple PCI-E devices. I will be using video capture devices that rely on PCI-E
Intel i7-6800K or Intel i7-6850K :- Really not sure what impact the 6850k would make.
ASUS® RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 :- RGB + Future Proof
4GB/16GB/32GB/64GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2133MHz :- I will be upgrading the RAM to either G.Skill Trident Z RGB or VENGEANCE RGB, as these RGB RAMS will be purchase after sometime like 6-7months not sure if I should go for 32GB with the build to keep it going ?
GPU : I am into Nvidia GeForce for now 1 GPU will be enough as long as I can connect 3 monitors. In the future will be doing SLI.
Power Supply & Processor Cooling not sure what to choose ....

Thanks

Kaby_Lake

I guess its 4k gaming. Intel i7-6800K is probably enough, but you really have to think about the GPU. GTX 1050 or 1060 maybe.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For 4k gaming you would ideally want a GTX 1080 ti, which on its own is ~£700 of your budget.

4GB/16GB/32GB/64GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2133MHz :- I will be upgrading the RAM to either G.Skill Trident Z RGB or VENGEANCE RGB, as these RGB RAMS will be purchase after sometime like 6-7months not sure if I should go for 32GB with the build to keep it going ?
Replacing RAM is phenomenally bad value. You only have £1500, which is not a lot for what you are wanting the PC to do. Spending £100-300 on RAM now only to throw it out after a few months given your limited budget is not a good idea. I would suggest getting the RAM you want at the outset, even if it means saving more £ up first.

As someone who found themselves upgrading RAM for higher frequency having chosen poorly to begin with (back in 2012), I can tell you it's a hit you'll resent your wallet having to take versus just buying the right stuff at the outset. Don't put yourself in that position of wasting cash.
ASUS® RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 :- RGB + Future Proof
This motherboard is over £300 more than the most basic one and generic "futureproofness" isn't a good reason for getting it since the motherboards are all be definition high end mobos that are quite futureproof.

However, Intel are releasing their X299 platform (an upgrade on the X99 platform you've got in the spec there) in a few days - I believe from 26th June.

I would suggest waiting to see the pricing, performance and availability on the i7 7820k (8 core, 16 thread) CPU before making any purchase decision.

The X299 motherboards may also have a larger featureset such as more M.2 slots and additional RGB lighting.

I'd hold fast for a week or two and then get something that's just better - or revise your budget if it turns out £1500 isn't enough for what you want, which I suspect it won't be.