G-Sync not 'needed' anymore?

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
Hi folks,

I was wondering for a longer time about this actually, I see new laptops without G sync feature, will this function be needed at all in new laptops if there is no more optimus, or will this be called advanced optimus? I know you could switch between iGPU and dGPU (optimus) but I have heard that new advanced optimus will use something similar as gsync, but cannot really remember what exactly they were saying, does anybody has any idea please?

Also, I have seen here people advising free sync monitors with builds for NVidia graphics, does it actually work on NVidia as well or freesync is just AMD?

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi folks,

I was wondering for a longer time about this actually, I see new laptops without G sync feature, will this function be needed at all in new laptops if there is no more optimus, or will this be called advanced optimus? I know you could switch between iGPU and dGPU (optimus) but I have heard that new advanced optimus will use something similar as gsync, but cannot really remember what exactly they were saying, does anybody has any idea please?

Also, I have seen here people advising free sync monitors with builds for NVidia graphics, does it actually work on NVidia as well or freesync is just AMD?

Thanks
GSync is totally separate from Optimus, Optimus is graphics switching, whereas GSync is synchronising refresh rate with that of the GPU. Gsync is in the monitor, Optimus is on the motherboard.

GSync is still very much a feature but it's only used on Gaming laptops and monitors, but it's still very much around.

Freesync will work with any GPU, GSync currently only works with nVidia, but I have a feeling they'll open that up on newer GPU's and monitors in the future.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
GSync is totally separate from Optimus, Optimus is graphics switching, whereas GSync is synchronising refresh rate with that of the GPU. Gsync is in the monitor, Optimus is on the motherboard.

GSync is still very much a feature but it's only used on Gaming laptops and monitors, but it's still very much around.

Freesync will work with any GPU, GSync currently only works with nVidia, but I have a feeling they'll open that up on newer GPU's and monitors in the future.

yea I know gsync is synchronising refresh rate, and also that gsync requires direct communication between the graphics card and the display I just got confused with optimus switch because I reed somewhere that advanced optimus will take care of gsync but maybe it was meant in the way that gsync wont eat up that much battery anymore?
I was just curious because I don't see new laptops coming with a gsync so wasn't sure if its required anymore, thatnks for clarification espc. on the freesync cheezo, I wasn't in this game for 2 years and I forgot most of the stuff lol :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yea I know gsync is synchronising refresh rate, and also that gsync requires direct communication between the graphics card and the display I just got confused with optimus switch because I reed somewhere that advanced optimus will take care of gsync but maybe it was meant in the way that gsync wont eat up that much battery anymore?
I was just curious because I don't see new laptops coming with a gsync so wasn't sure if its required anymore, thatnks for clarification espc. on the freesync cheezo, I wasn't in this game for 2 years and I forgot most of the stuff lol :D
Ah, yes, sorry, I get what you mean.

Yes, this is basically Intel working with nVidia in response to AMD's new switching technology. I didn't realise it rolled in GSync also, that's actually quite cool.

There's an article here on it:

Thanks for bringing it up, I need to read it too!

Pokkai

G-Sync is just as needed from my perspective, the myth that high refresh screens don't need it is nonsense in my view.

I cannot believe PCS doesn't offer one laptop from the new range that even has a G-Sync option. This has prevented me buying one from them and will lead to a purchase of a ASUS/MSI/etc. brand which does offer this functionality.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
G-Sync is just as needed from my perspective, the myth that high refresh screens don't need it is nonsense in my view.

I cannot believe PCS doesn't offer one laptop from the new range that even has a G-Sync option. This has prevented me buying one from them and will lead to a purchase of a ASUS/MSI/etc. brand which does offer this functionality.
If you read above, they all have gsync, it’s now baked into optimus.

Pokkai

If you read above, they all have gsync, it’s now baked into optimus.
That's not the case, it means G-Sync can be run with Optimus to avoid the battery life penalty associated with G-Sync, previously it was one or the other.
It also denotes that it's an optional technology. Why anyone would want a 144hz+ screen without it baffles me.