Galaxy S4 - anyone getting it?

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
All in the title really, looks like I might end up replacing my good ol' Galaxy S with an S4. What's everyone's opinion on it?

Best deal so far seems to be with Three for a free phone, 500min, 5000 SMS, unlim data for £35/m and no additional cost to use 4G when it launches.
Of course prices tend to drop after launch so I'll wait till then.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Its a good phone, although I thought that a lot of the new features were just gimmicks to be honest, have a look at a few others there are many just as good if not better, I have the Lumia 920 and it is hands down the best phone I've ever used, check out phones like the Note 2 (massive size but still great), HTC One, BB Z10 and there are a few others that are very good too

And watch out with Three, reception is awful in a lot of areas, I have 2 friends on Three that I can never get hold of

I think my t-mobile contract only costs a little more than that and unlimited texts, internet (no fair use policy unlike most) and 2000 mins, with only a small cost (£20 for my 920) for the phone

rickne

Master Poster
I was interested in the 920 but I got my hands on a Windows phone and absolutely hated it. Ill be Android till I die. Once I root that S4 Ill be sorted. :)

rickne

Master Poster
I just don't like the UI mate. It was very restrictive and unorganised. Its just what im used to I guess but I didnt see a future with windows phones.

Ash

The S4 is nothing special. I don't understand this obsession with Samsung phones all of a sudden. Every other device running a recent version of Android is just as good, if not better. The Xperia Z gets a lot of hate in the press and the only reason is because it's made by Sony.

I used to be on Three. The customer service was terrible, the reception was terrible and the deal I was on was terrible. My sister in on Three now and has been for years. I really have no idea why she continues to upgrade with them because she always complains about the fact she never has any reception or 3G.

Last edited:

rickne

Master Poster
The S4 is nothing special. I don't understand this obsession with Samsung phones all of a sudden. Every other device running a recent version of Android is just as good, if not better. The Xperia Z gets a lot of hate in the press and the only reason is because it's made by Sony.

I used to be on Three. The customer service was terrible, the reception was terrible and the deal I was on was terrible. My sister in on Three now and has been for years. I really have no idea why she continues to upgrade with them because she always complains about the fact she never has any reception or 3G.

But for me it wasnt all of a sudden. Ive been using Sammy phones for as long as I remember. Ive had my S2 for 2 years and thanks to the rooting community i have a phone that has maximum battery life and performance over a stock handset. I get about 2 days out of my phone before charging. I overclock and underclock/volt depending on my needs. I have the ability to customise my interface above anything youll find on the google play store. I know not everyone will like to tinker with their phone but this is what Android means to me. And sammy hardware allows for so much more than other brands can.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
check out phones like the Note 2 (massive size but still great), HTC One, BB Z10 and there are a few others that are very good too

And watch out with Three, reception is awful in a lot of areas, I have 2 friends on Three that I can never get hold of

I think my t-mobile contract only costs a little more than that and unlimited texts, internet (no fair use policy unlike most) and 2000 mins, with only a small cost (£20 for my 920) for the phone

The Note 2 is too big and I would never get a BB (android ftw, need to root ^_^). I did consider the HTC One but the only thing it seems to have over the S4 is the aluminium body, which I couldn't care less about since I'm gonna put a case over it anyways. Plus you can't remove the battery or add an SD card.

I did check Three's coverage and they seem to have full cover for my area, I don't live far from London so it shouldn't be an issue. I was considering TMobile but you have to "upgrade" to an exorbitant EE tariff to benefit from 4G, whereas 3 won't increase the prices when they roll it out.

I'm not really obsessed with Samsung but I've never had a pb with my Galaxy S, so I'm more willing to give them another chance. I do like Sony, however I do like the screen better on the S4 and the Z has a less powerful battery which is not removable.

But for me it wasnt all of a sudden. Ive been using Sammy phones for as long as I remember. Ive had my S2 for 2 years and thanks to the rooting community i have a phone that has maximum battery life and performance over a stock handset. I get about 2 days out of my phone before charging. I overclock and underclock/volt depending on my needs. I have the ability to customise my interface above anything youll find on the google play store. I know not everyone will like to tinker with their phone but this is what Android means to me. And sammy hardware allows for so much more than other brands can.

I agree, rooting is awesome I've always customized every gadget I've had but rooting takes the cake, it just gives you total control and that's priceless. And I get to block ads on my phone too (I'm allergic to ads nowadays ^^)

Last edited:

MadMan

Super Star
Im thinking of upgrading my s2 to the Google nexus 4. It looks like a good phone and the price is affordable.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I used to be Apple to the death but after getting an S2 as a replacement a couple years ago when my iphone broke i havent touched apple since, now onto a Note 2 which i love. The size makes it perfect as a internet portal and reader.

I just got a Nexus 7 also which now make my note 2 a bit too big now because i use the Nexus 7 for all my internet stuff and reading with the note 2 as simply a teather and would rather it was smaller, i would consider the S4 or the Nexus 4 at this point now.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I've just ordered an Xperia T after my iPhone went dodgy. Sod's law the problem seems less exaggerated than it was now I've bought a new one, but hopefully Sony phones are as good as they were when I used to use them.

PaulH

Bright Spark
I have the HTC one - 3 of us here have got one and when mine arrived I had to order my Mrs one - simply cannot fault it at all - its also on 3 and I have better signal than I ever had, cant recommend it enough.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Cool good to know. Think I'll just have to go in the shop to try them both and make up my mind.

Portland

Bronze Level Poster
The missus scored a Note 2. Although chunky, it truly is the ****. Battery life in insanely good for a phone of that spec...

DannyJo

I've preordered myself an s4 to replace my first gen galaxy s. I've ordered the three subscription mentioned in the original post, sounds like good value. I did it through car phone warehouse so I get a few accessories with it as well like a 32gb micro sd card and an in car charger :)

Keedar

Expert
Have s3 and i dont see a point to change it for s4.Almost same thing in smaller body.People have some obsession :) Paid double for a same thing ( almost )

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Yeah if I had an S3 I wouldn't switch that quickly. My Galaxy S was getting pretty slow but now that I've updated it to the latest Cyanogen ROM it's a lot more responsive. Who knows I might even keep it for a few more months before upgrading.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah if I had an S3 I wouldn't switch that quickly. My Galaxy S was getting pretty slow but now that I've updated it to the latest Cyanogen ROM it's a lot more responsive. Who knows I might even keep it for a few more months before upgrading.

Thats my favorite thing about Android Phones. Get bored of Samsung, turn it into a Sony Xperia, or a Nexus and easly turn it back again.