Galaxy S4 - anyone getting it?

DannyJo

I got a message last week saying my S4 was being delayed for a week due to high demands, should arrive somewhere around May 3rd.

DannyJo

I got my S4 last week so I thought I'd fill you in with some details.

Overall, I really like it, I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen either.

I think it feels like a pretty solid phone, the screen is absolutely brilliant, great colours and very crisp. It feels very responsive and speedy as well and the network (WIFI) connection on it is great, I can download at the same speeds as my laptop.

On another note, if you're an avid dropbox user, its worth mentioning that if you hook up your S4 with your dropbox account they give you 48Gb of extra storage for 24 months for free :)

Now to the less good, I've noticed the battery runs dry rather a bit too quick, the screen eats power like mad however there is a power saver mode which dims the screen.

If I have any further thoughts later on I will post them here as well, all in all a good phone :)

kyleblyth

Silver Level Poster
hoping to get one just waiting for a good deal to be honest! Carphone warehouse are doing one for £100 upfront and £26p/m - 500mins/5000txts/unlimited internet (i think). Looks a beast though and be nice to upgrade the S2 :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Anyone see the google edition of the S4? looks interesting, I would prefer it over the normal version, same hardware, but without the customized android

rickne

Master Poster
Anyone see the google edition of the S4? looks interesting, I would prefer it over the normal version, same hardware, but without the customized android

Its $650 and root your phone and take your phone to stock android anyway. easy.

Just ordered mine on EE. unlimited talk and text with 1.5GB data for £36 a month. Lucky im in a 4G area.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Now to the less good, I've noticed the battery runs dry rather a bit too quick, the screen eats power like mad however there is a power saver mode which dims the screen.

I'm not sure what phone you came from before the S4 so not sure how familiar you are with Smartphone batteries. I have the S2 and at first power saving was all I cared about, my phone was effectively the dimmest thing on the planet with everything switched off when I didn't need it. My other friend had also got an S2 and he always had everything turned on and brightness full, etc and at the end of the day, we were both charging it each night. Mine may have had slightly more battery left than his but effectively I had to recharge it anyway otherwise it would be dead by morning.

Rather than hindering its performance with power saving modes (although I appreciate you can have them set to activate only when your battery is low in extreme circumstances) I would just recommend having your brightness around the halfway mark and always keep a 'Task Manager' shortcut on your homescreen to close down unused apps and clear Ram. I think the phone is clever enough to shut down inactive apps but quite a few of them will stick around if you don't manually shut them down. Also obviously have GPS, Bluetooth, 3G, etc off when you don't need them. I only really leave wi-fi on.

It's a shame to have such a brilliant phone and always feeling the need to restrain it's potential purely because of battery life. Reminds me of F1 at the moment where they don't race anymore because the tires last no longer than 10 laps!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Got mine yesterday and while im a bit bummed uk got the Quad core Its still a lovely phone.

The Octa-Core version will never use more than 4 cores at a time anyway, and the Qualcomm one is pretty damn powerful, the only benefit would be battery life, which I don't think would be much different anyway