game data location?

jamgre500

I am new to pc gaming and my pc has an SSD which currently runs windows and all gaming apps etc.

I have been told that game data should be located on the HDD, is this the case? does anyone have any advice as to what should be located where?

FYI, I am currently playing world of warships at tiers 3 and 4 and the same for world of tanks.

thanks, James.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am new to pc gaming and my pc has an SSD which currently runs windows and all gaming apps etc.

I have been told that game data should be located on the HDD, is this the case? does anyone have any advice as to what should be located where?

FYI, I am currently playing world of warships at tiers 3 and 4 and the same for world of tanks.

thanks, James.

It's up to you where you put the game data, depends how big your SSD is and how much you want to improve loading times. I personally have a 250gb ssd and 750hdd and put all my games on the SSD as I appreciate the improved load times, but when I had a 120Gb SSD, it was far more limiting space wise and I tended to put the games on the HDD.

Gr4

Silver Level Poster
It should be for example c:/program files/name of game company/world of tanks/data.
But to be honest they would keep it on their server, otherwise you could get whatever tank etc you wanted by editing the data files ;)

LFFPicard

Godlike
It should be for example c:/program files/name of game company/world of tanks/data.
But to be honest they would keep it on their server, otherwise you could get whatever tank etc you wanted by editing the data files ;)

That makes no sense :)

I tend to use both my SSD and HDD.
When I install a game I choose advanced install options so I can specify where to install. I have a few games on my SSD under C:\Games\ like World of Warships, Eve Online and GTAV for increased loading time (FYI Eve Online uses a shared cache so all 4 clients run from the install on the SSD)
All my other steam and non steam games get installed to my HDD under D:\Games\

I do occasionally move stuff around, before I had GTAV on my SSD I had WoW on it, but due to space issues and unsubbing WoW I moved WoW to my HDD and put GTAV on my SSD instead. (Usually involves a un-install/re-install)

Hope this makes sense and helps!

Gr4

Silver Level Poster
It makes perfect sense, he will not find any game data for this game on any of his ssd or hdd

Gr4

Silver Level Poster
World of tanks/warships is more of a browser game and game data is stored on their servers

LFFPicard

Godlike
World of Tanks and World of Warships are both client based programs, just like World of Warplanes. They require all the game data, textures and all other information to be installed on a Hard Drive. Around 17gb of data is installed.

Yes, all these games are online games just like any MMO type game, but all still require clients to run. The only reason why your not able to unlock all tanks/ships etc is because your account information and progress is stored on the servers to prevent exploiting. Yet if you explored the data files in the game directory then you will find all the artwork and textures for all the tanks/warships and even maps already installed on your machine.