Gamersgate and other downloadable game stores

samwil

Enthusiast
How do they work? are you given a code for steam to add a game or are they downloaded from the site, and then you can connect them with steam?

steaky360

How do they work? are you given a code for steam to add a game or are they downloaded from the site, and then you can connect them with steam?

For some games yes but some download through a different client and some are stand alone that you just 'download' and play and are not linked to steam/origin/uplay etc.

For origin/uplay/steam games generally you get a code which you put into the relevant client and it downloads the game for you. But sometimes you download the game first (like I recently have with AC3 from greenman gaming) and install it to the relevant client after.

Keedar

Expert
All digital stores have a description under the title like: You have to register your account on steam,origin etc .If there is no description that means you have to download straight from store where did you got your game :)

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea like others have said they're very easy to use. Normally the deal is, you buy the game, you get an email 2 minutes later with a unique code which will normally explain how to retrieve your download and then for Steam you log in, click 'add game' in the bottom left I think and there will be an option to activate a code. Just paste the unique code in and it's all sorted. I was a bit hesitant the first time I used it but it really is very easy.

One thing I don't like though is using a website's own client. I don't mind Origin and Steam but I'm a bit wary about others.