Gaming gsync monitor.

mia.stoner

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys , after being helped a week or so ago with what build I need for a good gaming PC I thought ide post again asking which monitor I should be getting ?

Budget £500
Size - 27" +
Gsync compatible

(Pc spec - ryzen cpu and nvidia 3070 or 3080 gpu)

Cheers
Owen

mia.stoner

Bronze Level Poster
Not the 3080...you don't have the monitor budget to get a monitor appropriate for that GPU...you'd be looking at a 4k 144Hz or a 1440 Superwide with that gPU and the cost for those monitors is about double your monitor budget.

Others may have better options but, for £500 or so, the best I can find is Ultrawides with 100 or 120Hz refresh rate...ideally you'd want higher:

BenQ Ultrawide

LG Ultrawide

The LG would be the better option I believe but is out of stock on Amazon.

Regarding G-Sync, Freesync actually works with G-Sync (but not the other way around)....sometimes they will say G-Sync compatible which just means it's been "officially" tested by NVIDIA. My monitor is Freesync, isn't on the compatible list and works flawlessly with G-Sync
Yeh I would like 144hz minimum.
Tell me what sort of budget I need lol...

mia.stoner

Bronze Level Poster
Not the 3080...you don't have the monitor budget to get a monitor appropriate for that GPU...you'd be looking at a 4k 144Hz or a 1440 Superwide with that gPU and the cost for those monitors is about double your monitor budget.

Others may have better options but, for £500 or so, the best I can find is Ultrawides with 100 or 120Hz refresh rate...ideally you'd want higher:

BenQ Ultrawide

LG Ultrawide

The LG would be the better option I believe but is out of stock on Amazon.

Regarding G-Sync, Freesync actually works with G-Sync (but not the other way around)....sometimes they will say G-Sync compatible which just means it's been "officially" tested by NVIDIA. My monitor is Freesync, isn't on the compatible list and works flawlessly with G-Sync
If I could stretch my budget to 750ish would there be anything I could get potentially?
TiA

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
Iiyama have a 34" 1440p 144hz IPS superwide for £400. It's gsync compatible AFAIK. There have been some reports of QI issues so maybe get a pixel check warranty with it.

It would have been my ideal monitor had I been able to fit it into my setup without needing a complete office refurb. Plumped for this in the end at £340. Shame it's not an IPS panel but for the price and spec I'm happy.

Alternatively wait till Black Friday ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Iiyama have a 34" 1440p 144hz IPS superwide for £400. It's gsync compatible AFAIK. There have been some reports of QI issues so maybe get a pixel check warranty with it.
It would have been my ideal monitor had I been able to fit it into my setup without needing a complete office refurb. Plumped for this in the end at £340. Shame it's not an IPS panel but for the price and spec I'm happy.

Alternatively wait till Black Friday ;)

Either of these would suit the 3060, it’s too small for the 3079 or 3080. For that you’d need a £1200 monitor or upwards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok cool. Just getting the vibe that buying a decent PC with nvidia new GPU seems pointless if I've gott spend massive amounts on a monitor....
Basically 3070 and 3080 are 4k 144Hz cards.

The 3060 is a 1440p 144Hz.

There is no support for 1080p anymore, it's been killed off and about time too (apart from for 360Hz competitive gaming)

The higher tier you go, the more the monitor costs.

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
Ok cool. Just getting the vibe that buying a decent PC with nvidia new GPU seems pointless if I've gott spend massive amounts on a monitor....

Well with the new cards and the new generation of consoles being released 4K will become much more popular so will probably come down in price or else the 1440p stuff will do as everyone will be looking for pretty pictures.

mia.stoner

Bronze Level Poster
Basically 3070 and 3080 are 4k 144Hz cards.

The 3060 is a 1440p 144Hz.

There is no support for 1080p anymore, it's been killed off and about time too (apart from for 360Hz competitive gaming)

The higher tier you go, the more the monitor costs.
Cool well I better save some more monies up and go big on a monitor then..
Does anyone know anywhere that will put a fake cost amount on a invoice so the wife doesn't see it 🤣🤣

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cool well I better save some more monies up and go big on a monitor then..
Does anyone know anywhere that will put a fake cost amount on a invoice so the wife doesn't see it 🤣🤣
If you can save up for a decent monitor, it really would be so worth it, this level is just a whole new level of jaw on the floor, not just 4k with HDR, but Full Ray Tracing also, it’s going to be epic!

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
Either of these would suit the 3060, it’s too small for the 3079 or 3080. For that you’d need a £1200 monitor or upwards

The Iiyama is a 34in 1440p ultrawide 144hz screen. Same as the BenQ and LG you mentioned but for £400 instead of near £600. Aren't they? IPS screen as well instead of the VA panels of the other 2. Iiyama also do a curved VA version for about the same price as the IPS one.

mia.stoner

Bronze Level Poster
If you can save up for a decent monitor, it really would be so worth it, this level is just a whole new level of jaw on the floor, not just 4k with HDR, but Full Ray Tracing also, it’s going to be epic!
Well if I'm wanting a setup to last me a few years I may aswell just blow a flipload of money and be done with it.
I definitely want a 3070 or 3080 so I will definitely want a monitor that can run it properly....
Cheers for all your help
Appreciate it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Iiyama is a 34in 1440p ultrawide 144hz screen. Same as the BenQ and LG you mentioned but for £400 instead of near £600. Aren't they? IPS screen as well instead of the VA panels of the other 2. Iiyama also do a curved VA version for about the same price as the IPS one.
Yes, the 3070 would be too powerful for 1440 ultrawide.

Basically the 3060 will be roughly 2080 power which is really 1440 ultrawide or make do for 1440p 144hz

3070 is a little more powerful than the 2080ti

3080 is new levels of power, really suited to 4k ultrawide.

3060 would be more appropriate. 3070 is really superwide at 5120 x 1440 or 4k 144Hz. I've suggested some people get it for 1440 ultrawide as we weren't sure when the 3060 would be released.