Gaming laptop - Optimus II

tightgrass

Hi,

Have been looking for a cheapish laptop that would allow me to play games on. Going for a laptop as i don't have room for a pc and the portability is essential for me. Originally was thinking on a budget of £600 looking at the acer apire 5750g i5-2410, 6gb ram, geforce 540m gpu. Then came upon this site and the Optimus II. Nothing seems to come close to the specs this thing offers for less than £1200 (considerably less at £800) Here's the spec i been looking at.

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH

Power Lead & Adaptor
2 x UK Power Lead & 120W Adaptor (For Nvidia GT 555M) (£19)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

£820

That's an unmatched mofo of a gpu, cpu, ram and HDD for the price, but i got a few issues i could use help with. I gotta wonder about the ability of the Optimus II to handle those specs. I notice there's a big price jump to the Vortex II 15'.

1) Is this based on the optimus II chassis being a bit shoddy, so comparatively frustrating mouse/ keys, speakers etc, and it being likely to overheat and melt the laptop to death, resulting in short lifespan? With my last laptop (dell inspiron 1525) I used to take the battery out when gaming and the overheat wouldn't be so bad, but that laptop had integrated graphics. Used it for strategy games, football manager.

2) Display - The 1920x1080 LED screen at this price sounds a great deal, but for a 15' screen is this actually better than the acer aspire 5750g 1366x768. I hear for games the 1366x768 resolution is less demanding on the laptop allowing it to run better (fps) and looks better as the resolution has to be scaled down or something on the 1920x1080.

3) One main hope for this laptop revolves around a game coming out 11/11/11. I dunno if you've heard of it, it's called skyrim. Not the most demanding game i understand but basically i'm wondering if i'm better off waiting 3 months to get a laptop then, and if PCS or elsewhere might have better deals by then in my price range.

4) I got through about 5 dell ac adapters cos they'd become too loose and eventually the wire would split at the laptop end. That gets annoying when you've taken the battery out. Would I have that problem with these ones? (at least partially my own fault, but i never trusted dell anyway)

5) When are sound card and Wireless upgrades worthwhile. Had some problem getting good internet signal in parts of my house with the old dell inspiron 1525. Any idea how that's wireless would compare to this? Don't thinkperform sound is worth much to me over other things.

That's all i can think of at this time of night, so thanks everyone and especially anyone who can help.