Gaming Laptop OS

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Guys, windows is better for a gaming laptop? Win 7 or 8.1?
I have been using Win 7 for a long time now and I am very pleased with it.

Will I hate 8.1 if I get it? Does it pose more trouble with older games?

Where do babies really come from?

Thanks =)

*also, do I basically need to purchase a windows copy every time I buy a product? can I use the registration code of my older product?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Regarding purchasing another copy of windows depends on the type of windows you got. It is likely to be OEM so you can't transfered it to another laptop or desktop. Windows 7 or 8? That really depends on you, I got windows 7 on my desktop and 8 on a tablet and I don't mind either, quite indifferent between choosing one. Personal choice really.

Rakk

The Awesome
I have been using Win 7 for a long time now and I am very pleased with it.
Will I hate 8.1 if I get it? Does it pose more trouble with older games?

Well I liked Win7, and now am quite happy with Win 8.1 - took me a while to get used to it - but I find it perfectly fine.
Some people just don't like it, but its all personal preference.

ricbai

Bronze Level Poster
If you want to try Windows 8.1 , you can download a virtual image from modern.ie (VirtualBox is probably the easiest VM platform to get started with) - it won't be speedy running under virtualisation (nor will it be able to take full advantage of hardware such as 3D graphics cards) but will give you an idea of the "look and feel" and general usage of it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The only thing you might not like about 8.1 is the user interface. There are however several third-party programs that restore the old Windows 7 start menu to windows 8.1. Personally I like Start8 from http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/. It's not free, it costs a whole $5 (US Dollars) but IMO it's worth it. Otherwise Windows 8.1 is a great OS.

Babies are found under gooseberry bushes. Allegedly they are left there by the stork. Is that all clear now?

steaky360

I must be honest, I don't miss the start button... thought I would but have found that I simply don't. Feel like I'm becoming a full windows 8.1 convert.

adidan

Bronze Level Poster
The start button has, but not the start menu. All the start button does in win 8.1 is switch between the two desktops
Ah ha, thanks. Still using W7 here, no need for me to upgrade.

That said, if I was buying one now I would definitely by 8.1 and put a different shell on it. I'd go for W8 as it looks like users will get a free upgrade to W10 whereas it's not so clear if this will happen for W7 users. W8>W10 for free has been a rumour but Microsoft Indonesia president Andreas Diantoro has since confirmed this, presumably this reliable.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ah ha, thanks. Still using W7 here, no need for me to upgrade.

That said, if I was buying one now I would definitely by 8.1 and put a different shell on it. I'd go for W8 as it looks like users will get a free upgrade to W10 whereas it's not so clear if this will happen for W7 users. W8>W10 for free has been a rumour but Microsoft Indonesia president Andreas Diantoro has since confirmed this, presumably this reliable.

I'm trialling the Windows 10 Technical Preview. So far it looks like Windows 8/8.1 with part (but not all) of the Windows 7 start menu added. So unless there are serious performance/connectivity/reliability enhancements in Windows 10 I probably won't upgrade from Windows 8.1 with Start8 unless Windows 10 is free. If it turns out to be just Windows 8.1 with (part of) the Windows 7 start menu added Microsoft will be facing another disaster IMO, even if it is free.

adidan

Bronze Level Poster
I'm trialling the Windows 10 Technical Preview. So far it looks like Windows 8/8.1 with part (but not all) of the Windows 7 start menu added. So unless there are serious performance/connectivity/reliability enhancements in Windows 10 I probably won't upgrade from Windows 8.1 with Start8 unless Windows 10 is free. If it turns out to be just Windows 8.1 with (part of) the Windows 7 start menu added Microsoft will be facing another disaster IMO, even if it is free.
It does sound like they're trying to make a one OS fits all, not sure how wise that is.

Apparently 'Continuum' will automatically adjust itself depending on the type of device it's being run on - good luck with than MS. I can't help think that this approach will end up with a jack of all trades, master of none OS. Hopefully they'll surprise me, they did with W7 - love W7. I haven't tried W8 appart from getting annoyed with it on a mate's laptop once but that was hardly a thorough test on my part :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It does sound like they're trying to make a one OS fits all, not sure how wise that is.

Apparently 'Continuum' will automatically adjust itself depending on the type of device it's being run on - good luck with than MS. I can't help think that this approach will end up with a jack of all trades, master of none OS. Hopefully they'll surprise me, they did with W7 - love W7. I haven't tried W8 appart from getting annoyed with it on a mate's laptop once but that was hardly a thorough test on my part :)

That continuum feature is on windows 8.1 already, it determines what format the hardware is and sets up to boot into desktop on a pc, metro for touchscreen devices etc.

adidan

Bronze Level Poster
That continuum feature is on windows 8.1 already, it determines what format the hardware is and sets up to boot into desktop on a pc, metro for touchscreen devices etc.
Well, this is just proving a point then, I really shouldn't comment on things that I have no knowledge :yes:

Although, in my defence, most of the articles I've read on W10 seem to make it sound like it's a new feature as some of the preview articles earlier in October mention that the code for continuum wasn't even available so they couldn't preview that aspect of the OS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well, this is just proving a point then, I really shouldn't comment on things that I have no knowledge :yes:

Although, in my defence, most of the articles I've read on W10 seem to make it sound like it's a new feature as some of the preview articles earlier in October mention that the code for continuum wasn't even available so they couldn't preview that aspect of the OS.

Continuum is not in the current Windows 10 Technical Preview.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Yeah, I agree, they're pushing it as a new feature perhaps cos they've worked out a name for it, lols. I dunno, for me, so far, the Win 10 preview seems like a step backward. They made a bold move with Windows 8 which may have met with varied response, but it was new... Win 10 seems like a retreat rather than sticking to their guns. i know they need to acknowledge user feedback, but it needs a shift.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yeah, I agree, they're pushing it as a new feature perhaps cos they've worked out a name for it, lols. I dunno, for me, so far, the Win 10 preview seems like a step backward. They made a bold move with Windows 8 which may have met with varied response, but it was new... Win 10 seems like a retreat rather than sticking to their guns. i know they need to acknowledge user feedback, but it needs a shift.

100% in agreement with that.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
One performance issue i have noticed and have noticed on other forums at that in some games Nvidia Physix runs better on Windows 7 than on windows 8. This may apply to only a hand full of games Assassin's Creed Black Flag in this case, if you turn Physics on in Black Flag then the frame drops make the game almost unplayable on windows 8, solutions and reports are saying that this is not an issue on Windows 7.

I do take this with a pinch of salt however as there are different set ups and configurations but a couple of people have mentioned it when i was looking up the problem on my own machine.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this at all.

bulkupman

there is better performance and support with windows. 8 on all new modern hardware. i recommend sticking to windows. 8.