"Gaming laptop"

lorgyo

Hi there !

Here is my spec

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 6300HQ (2.3GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
Ultra Slim 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 2
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7265 M.2 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62.16WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Quantity

Price: £620.00 including VAT and delivery.

I got few questions

Is it worth to get the i7 6700hq for +70£ and the 4g module for +60£~?
Also whats the difference between regular kingston ram and hyperx one?
Same for the wireless gigabit n7265 and gigabit & killer 1535-ac?
Any suggestions in general?

Thanks in advance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I got few questions

Is it worth to get the i7 6700hq for +70£ and the 4g module for +60£~? i7 is gonna be worth it for gaming, 4g module is entirely up to you if you need internet on the move, personally I wouldn't bother
Also whats the difference between regular kingston ram and hyperx one? No difference in performance at all, Hyper x looks funky
Same for the wireless gigabit n7265 and gigabit & killer 1535-ac? n7265 is wireless n speeds, Killer is AC speeds, so a lot faster (867mbs). Also, the killer is generally better at speedy pings and low latency, if you're gaming online a lot definitely go with the killer card

Only other things worth mentioning are up the thermal paste, you want as low temps as possible in a laptop for extra stability and longer lifespan of components.

Up the hard drive to a 7200rpm drive like the scorpio black, you'll really notice the speed improvement, 5400 is painfully slow

lorgyo

I got few questions

Is it worth to get the i7 6700hq for +70£ and the 4g module for +60£~? i7 is gonna be worth it for gaming, 4g module is entirely up to you if you need internet on the move, personally I wouldn't bother
Also whats the difference between regular kingston ram and hyperx one? No difference in performance at all, Hyper x looks funky
Same for the wireless gigabit n7265 and gigabit & killer 1535-ac? n7265 is wireless n speeds, Killer is AC speeds, so a lot faster (867mbs). Also, the killer is generally better at speedy pings and low latency, if you're gaming online a lot definitely go with the killer card

Only other things worth mentioning are up the thermal paste, you want as low temps as possible in a laptop for extra stability and longer lifespan of components.

Up the hard drive to a 7200rpm drive like the scorpio black, you'll really notice the speed improvement, 5400 is painfully slow

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I will probably go for the killer wireless and the 7200rpm hdd.
How about overheating. Will i require a cooling stand for it or it Will do fine on its own?

Spikes

What is your budget? You might want to go for a laptop with 970M GPU or higher.
That is the most important thing in a gaming laptop.

Your processor is also perfectly fine and you should look at getting an SSD. Though all depends on your budget

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I will probably go for the killer wireless and the 7200rpm hdd.
How about overheating. Will i require a cooling stand for it or it Will do fine on its own?

I'd recommend a cooling pad for any gaming laptop, anything you can do to reduce temps is worthwhile for extra stability and longer life.

lorgyo

What is your budget? You might want to go for a laptop with 970M GPU or higher.
That is the most important thing in a gaming laptop.

Your processor is also perfectly fine and you should look at getting an SSD. Though all depends on your budget

I was thinking to get the i7 but if it wouldnt affect the gaming part significantly then the i5 fine by me. Thanks for confirmation.
Well my budget is around 700 sadly there are no 970 gpu at that price range. At least that my guess.
The SSD seems pretty expensive and it would affect only the loading time if im not wrong. :)

Spikes

I was thinking to get the i7 but if it wouldnt affect the gaming part significantly then the i5 fine by me. Thanks for confirmation.
Well my budget is around 700 sadly there are no 970 gpu at that price range. At least that my guess.
The SSD seems pretty expensive and it would affect only the loading time if im not wrong. :)

The i7 has no significant difference with the i5. Yes, you can leave out the SSD as it's just for loading files.
And yes, the minimum you can get for a 970M is ~£900. But believe, it's well worth it than a 960M.

Current games struggle to run on a 960M so it's really phasing out already

lorgyo

The i7 has no significant difference with the i5. Yes, you can leave out the SSD as it's just for loading files.
And yes, the minimum you can get for a 970M is ~£900. But believe, it's well worth it than a 960M.

Current games struggle to run on a 960M so it's really phasing out already

Yea i know there is a big gap between 960 and 970. However it wouldnt be a problem for me to run any of the game on medium/low
I played on toaster for so long. So it would be an improve in every aspect :) thanks for your advice though really appreciated :)