Gaming on Linux? Yes/No?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What are your opinions on gaming on linux, Steam is now on Linux, TF2 is available with it as well as a few other games and Valves other games will be ported soon, so what is everyones opinion on this? If a large amount of developers decide to support it, then my next gaming PC will almost definitely be linux, I used Ubuntu for a while, and while it was nice, fast etc, it still felt like there was something missing, but that was well over a year ago and they release a new version every 6 months or so, and I would be willing to sacrifice a slightly nicer OS to save myself £80, any programs not available I can just run through WINE, although most have some kind of linux version, usually through a 3rd party

Do you think Linux usage will increase with steam on its side?

EDIT: Also, benchmarks of L4D2 have shown that its OpenGL beta for linux, performed much better than DX9 on windows

Last edited:

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I think if it does happen, it will take a while. There isn't any reason you can't play decent looking games on a Mac, but there isn't really a market for them there. Linux has the advantage that Valve are fully behind the OS and provided they sell enough of those console things I'm sure it'l take off eventually, even if Valve has to sweeten the deal with some other developers.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I forgot about the steam box, will that be running on Ubuntu or a Valve customised version of linux?

Mac can be games but it costs twice as much for the same GPU level, whereas linux will make it cheaper as its free, and windows is £80