Gaming PC 1.3k - 1.5k

Sam.R

I'm looking at a new desktop mainly for gaming, I have Skyrim and MW3 in mind. I was considering running it with SLI and dual monitors. I was thinking the GTX 560 ti
in SLI with an intel i7 quadcore.
any advise would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Teaz

Godlike
you can go sli with the 560ti if you want, dont see anything wrong with it. it will require a little bit more power however which is normal.

you should go for the i5. its near in performance and an i7 and much wiser spent with the money and since youre just gaming, you will be in good hands with the i5.

This is something to consider looking into if you want to sli for your gaming :):

Case
InWIN DRAGON RIDER BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready

2nd Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 510 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 450MB/sR | 210MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)

Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Total: 1405

Configure it here :)

You can choose a different case if you you wish as i chose that as a starting point for the specs.

popped in an ssd for all your main programs along with OS and the second 1TB hdd for storage.

Sam.R

Ok, so the i5 is better value. Im not fully clued up on SSD so wasn't sure about including one but ill have a read up. Also i was considering getting the 850W Corsair in-case i wanted to upgrade some components later.

Teaz

Godlike
yes i5 is better value and its performance is not far behind and i7 and since youre just gaming, the i5 will provide plenty of power :)

ssd is good for speeding things up fast like programs os and other things alike but if you want to keep it in tip top shape you will have to baby sit it to keep it in good shape as the ssd read&write life cycle gets degraded if you write alot of data to it for example using it as storage or saving/creating large files of MB or GB to it will lower its life slowly so a second hdd drive is always recommended to be paired with an ssd which i had popped in.

if not you can however get near ssd like performances while still using your hdd by doing ssd caching. ssd caching is done with an ssd in conjuction to the hdd. its a cheap alternative to get ssd like performances without worrying about baby the ssd to keep it in good shape. you can see it here.

an 850w is fine to go for :)

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Teaz, I like how you suggested that build!

because that's almost identical to what I bought not long ago xD

but different mobo (ASUS p6p87 LE USB 3.0) , one GTX560 Ti 2gb and 650w corsair enthusiast. same processor!

and only one 500gb hard drive as I have 500gb external already