Gaming PC Build - £900 Budget

taurma

Hi, I have a budget of £900 and this is what I've build. Any ideas on improvements/savings etc I've missed? I'm not very tech savvy unfortunately.

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 QUAD CORE 980 (3.70GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3)

Motherboard
ASUS® M5A97: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti 448 CORE (Ltd Edition Superfast Card)
Free Item

Free Item
FREE Battlefield 3 with Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 CORE!

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Cost : £895 incl. VAT

Any tips would be appreciated. I plan to use it for gaming and playing high end games like Skyrim etc.

Thanks

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Drop the CPU cooler one notch, that cooler is for overclocking. If you can afford it, upgrading to the bulldozer series would be a good idea, don't worry if you can't. Also, if possible you may want to upgrade the hdd to something like a 2tb caviar black. It is £10 cheaper than the 1tb caviar black so is good value! Otherwise, it does look like a very good spec, enjoy it!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
nice spec dude,

only things i'd change
1.like music guy says go for a 2tb caviar black drive.
2.650w corsair psu, more reliable and energy efficient.
3.go for the tripple copper cooler, the titan is a beast, but because its so big it may result in ya side fan being removed on the t900, which you dont want.
4.personally i'd stick with the cpu you have now mate, better thn the bulldozer me thinks :) the quad core bulldozer is not erm very good.

taurma

I've changed what you suggested and its still £40 under £900 so thanks :)

One quick question though and its probably silly, does 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti 448 CORE (Ltd Edition Superfast Card) support HDMI? I know it probably does but it doesn't say it when it says all the others do when you select them :)

Thanks again!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yes it should be fine mate, pcs normally use Palit nvidia cards, They do use other cards sometimes though, so if ya want to know exactly which card a quick phonecall to pcs would answer your question.

here's the palit website you can check out ya soon to be gpu here. http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1852

m_p01852_bigimage_3074ed4794d1d4a0.jpg
m_p01852_bigimage_15114ed4794de9d5a.jpg
m_p01852_bigimage_3524ed4794f5ddff.jpg

taurma

Yes it should be fine mate, pcs normally use Palit nvidia cards, They do use other cards sometimes though, so if ya want to know exactly which card a quick phonecall to pcs would answer your question.

here's the palit website you can check out ya soon to be gpu here. http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1852

View attachment 692
View attachment 693
View attachment 694

Aww thanks, that actually helps alot and puts my mind at ease. Gonna buy it all now with your recommended changes of the 2TB black Sata, the copper cooler etc. I'll post screens and impressions and stuff when I get it!

Thanks again for the help :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
oh one more thing..........

can we see pics when it arrives? Please.....:)
ps thanks for the rep

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Cheat!

Talking about pics, how do you upload them because every time I try it says upload failed!

hahhah ner ner ner not telling ya... .........

will really, you have to put the url of the image from the site ya found them. i cant upload pics either..