Gaming pc - need advice please

Eru_Iluvatar

Case COOLERMASTER COSMOS SE GAMING TOWER (Windowed)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® X99 DELUXE: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X PREDATOR QUAD-DDR4 2400MHz X.M.P (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card ASUS Xonar D2X - Masterpiece Audio Card for Home Theater
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2013 (1 License & Disc)

DVI-D, HDMI & Display Port Cables 2 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE
Display Port Adapter / GeForce 3D Vision NONE

Surge Protection MasterPlug SRG62 6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Cable Tidy 3 x PCS 1.5M Zip Cable Tidy - Professional Cable Management

Basically, this is my first PC that I am in charge of ordering what I want. What I want to do is get into gaming. I have had many computers in the past and played some games, but now I want to do more. I don't think I will be in the group of extreme gamers:sailor:, but what I want is to play the latest games like Dibalo III, some old games as well etc. So what are your thoughts about what I have here? I was going to buy Dell Alienware, but from what I could see for the same money I could get a much better computer, or even for less money. And another thing that was bothering me is that Alienware don't actually tell you about every single component, so God knows what I'd be getting. And I also cannot go for Blu Ray drive unless I start with the model that is well over £2000, which I think is stupid.

I know CPU, graphics card, motherboard, and RAM are the most important things. Obviously, when I play the game I do want to get the best out of it. So do you think I went too far with this? What sort of monitor should I go for? Do I need extra fans? I have optic fibre internet at 152 Mbps so is what I'm getting here with the motherboard good, or do I need a better wireless card? Or if I go for less money than this what motherboard should I get to be safe for future upgrades? Is HDMI cable enough?

I would appreciate your help. cheers

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I would opt for the 'top spec' configurator. Going for one of the i7's in that would be much more sensible for gaming, at the moment you just don't need anywhere close to 6 cores for gaming.

an i7, z97-a motherboard 8/16GB RAM is what your looking for. Couple that with ANY SSD APART from the v300 (as it has performance issues) and you will be good to go.

Eru_Iluvatar

I would opt for the 'top spec' configurator. Going for one of the i7's in that would be much more sensible for gaming, at the moment you just don't need anywhere close to 6 cores for gaming.

an i7, z97-a motherboard 8/16GB RAM is what your looking for. Couple that with ANY SSD APART from the v300 (as it has performance issues) and you will be good to go.

Ok great thanks. What about the sound card? I will get Cambridge audio speakers for pc, so is the one I have chosen ok? Also, is there any point in getting a modem? I know it won't be for the purposes of using internet since I have optic fibre, but should I get it for other things, or is it totally redundant these days?

James.C

I'd opt for something that's a little more efficient in terms of cooling than the H60, especially if you look into overclocking later on. Go for something like the H80 or H100.