Gaming PC

CruelCoin

Allo all.

Two years ago i decided against all better judgement to buy a gaming laptop...Idiots placed the graphics, exactly where you place your left hand during gaming....

That and other niggles have driven me here.

yes, i could have built it, yes i likely overspent in certain areas, but overall i'm thrilled, and i can't wait for my baby to arrive!

COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER
Asus Xonar DG 5.1 SoundCard & Headphone AMP (Award Winner)
DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD (£35)
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Reasoning for above, I'd have no problem changing any part myself, bar the CPU. Just not happy with the thought of touching that, hence the best one i could get.
Not having a SSD gives me a chance to have a very quick magazine read while i wait for stuff to load. A few seconds off wouldn't blow my mind anyway.
ASUS Xonar 5.1, i'm not convinced that the extra money for a better sound card would be justified by any tiny increase in sound quality. That and i have crappy hearing.
No Blueray. Before games go on blueray fullscale, i'm convinced they will have gone entirely cloud based and digital download like steam, D2D, etc.
8GB ram, for my budget, i thought i'd get more usage out of a better motherboard than if i were to go for 16gb ram. Besides, this is a simple install later down the road.
I know 650 watt PSU doesn't give me a lot of expansion room, but it'll be a while before games properly make use of SLI so this bothers me none.

Thoughts?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi,
If you won't sli (not enough power on the PSU), would you consider downgrading the motherboard? I had the Asus Xonar DG and I could not tell the difference between the onboard sound and the Asus Xonar. I always have problems with wireless cards, would you consider homeplugs?

Last edited: