gaming spec <1k budget

zluu

hello, I'm planning to buy a new PC to replace my 5 years old one (that is struggling when running the recently released Deus Ex HR)

My requirements are:
- powerfull enough to run the upcoming games like skyrim, rage, or bf3 on the highest settings at 30-60fps.
- silent, at least under 50db while playing.
- has SSD hard disk, ATI gfx card and AMD processor
- under 1000£

here's what I made up so far:

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION

Motherboard
ASUS® M5A87: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6970 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 500MB/sW)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)

Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

if you have any advice on tweaks I could do to reduce the price while keeping about the same performance in games. thanks

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
OUCH, you missed an extremely vital part to any decent build, the case, yeh you could get away with it but after 10 mins your 6970 will be running at 3000c, the cheapest acceptable case for this build would be the maelstrom T900

if you want to max out on games, you need to drop that SSD, its not entirely necessary and is really only for people with higher budgets than you, drop that, get a decent case, and get a 750GB caviar black

also this is personal preference but id go with the nVidia GTX570 over the 6970, but all down to opinion

you can remove the mem card reader to save a bit of money

zluu

Thanks for the reply.

I admit I have no clue about which case to choose, the T900 looks a bit silly though, which other ones could I choose, regardless of the price?

regarding the hard disk, is there no benefit for using a SSD drive for gaming? like improved loading times? if not then yeah I guess I'll go for the WD 750gb, it makes the spec much cheaper.

UndeadJack

Master Poster
Thanks for the reply.

I admit I have no clue about which case to choose, the T900 looks a bit silly though, which other ones could I choose, regardless of the price?

regarding the hard disk, is there no benefit for using a SSD drive for gaming? like improved loading times? if not then yeah I guess I'll go for the WD 750gb, it makes the spec much cheaper.

Ssd increases file transfer and processing speeds but do not help games post load. A haf 912 and better case are the most adequate cases. Go for the 570 or wait for the 6 series which are expected soon

Teaz

Godlike
Thanks for the reply.

I recommend goinf for the Fractal case if your budget is comfortable to go for. its worth going for, for your requirements, it silent and has decent levels of cooling.

as for ssd, it does loads up games faster than a hdd and the things you do overal but if your budget is lacking, you could go for a cheaper ssd which will still give you good speeds or go for the caviar black drive which has pretty decent speeds for an ssd.

as for the graphics card, you cant go wrong with the 6970 or the 570, your choice, i think its fine to stick with the 6970 since youre just gaming.

zluu

Thanks again for your advices. Made the order, I ended up raising the budget a bit to get a good case (the fractal) and a SSD drive.

can't wait to receive the package now :)