Gears of War 4

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
It's tragic that gears of war 4, on the dreaded UWP is the most optimised PC game in the last 4 months. Tons of graphic options, pretty in depth benchmark built into it and a great game to boot.

Then you get mafia 3, an unoptimised repetitive grind with frequent crashes and looks like someones rubbed vaseline all over the screen. To be fair the first couple hours were great, and the story's been excellent, it's just that it's got less gameplay than a telltale's title.

also getting my mrs to try gears for split screen failed miserably. Anyone up for some co op send me a message.

Dayve

Aye, the woes of being a PC gamer these days. Even Fallout 4 - that whole franchise being a purely PC affair until 4 came out... the PC users were given only token consideration with the release. You couldn't even change the FOV =/

Perhaps in the future, as consoles become more and more like little PC's, cross-platform optimization will be less work and less expensive. Maybe we could even reach a point where optimizing for one of the consoles, that code will work for a PC as well because they're so similar.

...but not this generation, obviously.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Are there any plans to release the game on steam like the eventually did with Quantum Break?

Seems to be much more reliable when not on UWP.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
UWP needs to be left to die. Awful platform. No idea why Microsoft even attempted to push this on us.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
It's tragic that gears of war 4, on the dreaded UWP is the most optimised PC game in the last 4 months

Faith's been restored with battlefield 1 performing really well, and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 taking it out the ball park, it's like they took the doom campaign put it into overdrive, added a samurai sword and thought screw it, we'll make it a full co op experience with up to 4 players.

Shadow_Warrior_2_4_K_Wallpaper_4.jpg

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wait a minute. Last 4 months? There's been many well optimised games in released in the past 4 months.

Overwatch, Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Mafia 3, Deus Ex

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wait a minute. Last 4 months? There's been many well optimised games in released in the past 4 months.

Overwatch, Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Mafia 3, Deus Ex

I wouldn't call Deus Ex well optimised, it draws sooooo much power for very little return

Kayyybee

Any update on GoW and UWP?

How's it holding up? I was looking forward to playing my Xbox games on my PC while still being connected to my Xbox friends etc and thought it was a very good idea but starting to see non-impressive opinions about it.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Gears of war ultimate edition arrived on uwp in a terrible state, its Playable now but most have moved into better things..... Gears 4 works flawlessly and it's great playing with mates on Xbox same with forza horizon 3.

The only issue I've had is from the download speeds of the windows store. Everything since forza horizon 3 had been perfect

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
GOW4 is the first AAA title I've bought that didn't play like crap straight away, great game looks amazing and after several hours gameplay not noticed a single bug. But the windows platform does suck the download itself took several hours with no predicted finish times etc. I'm up for a game anytime monkey add me General Mess

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yeah I bit the bullet and have bought it. The store...dear Microsoft, what..the..unholy..hell??

Left it downloading. It was at about (I kid you not) 40GB out of 73GB and I went to attend a meeting. When I came back, my machine had shut down. Not crashed and rebooted but completely turned off. Bearing in mind I've got it set not to shut down on the mains adaptor.

Hmm..ok.

Rebooted and checked the logs - nothing obvious. I went back into the Store and it said it was downloading 1.2Mb of 2.3Mb...and sat there doing the apparent sum of a metric truckload of nothing. Then it suddenly jumped to 43Mb out of 44Mb.. it then sat doing nothing but the fans on my rig ran up to full speed and by god it was running hot.

A quick Google showed others with the same issue and MS' advice on the Technet forums was "call the games support team and they will fix it"...nope. Why not just put the solution you said they have online?

Anyway others said just leave it so I did and lo' and behold it suddenly said it was installed.

Very quickly ran it up. Told I needed to update the nVidia driver. so I did - I was on revision out - Looks pretty - typical GoW graphics. Alt-tabbed away and back and it crashed. Good start!

Will have a proper play when I'm done with work later.