General Question

Dexterous

I tried searching before posting but could not come up with anything, I know I get free 4 year standard warranty but I want to know if I open up the laptop and add my own ssd and ram in will this void the warranty? if it does then I guess I can save money by not buying the £5 upgrade to the warranty.

steaky360

I tried searching before posting but could not come up with anything, I know I get free 4 year standard warranty but I want to know if I open up the laptop and add my own ssd and ram in will this void the warranty? if it does then I guess I can save money by not buying the £5 upgrade to the warranty.

The £5 upgrade on the basic Bronze warranty I would say was an essential purchase. As Rubensolo said you will be fine installing your own components but these additional components will not be covered by PCS's warranty, that of course doesn't mean they are not covered by their own warranty separately.

I've installed a few of my own components onto my PC after not being able to get them from PCS when I ordered and everything is working as it should!

Cant say I've tried to upgrade a laptop before though. But if you know what you are doing it / have done it before it shouldn't be a problem!

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Morning,
With any warranty you get 3 years of labour cost included and parts as well as collection costs vary depending on which one you choose.
Regarding the warranty you could add components without voiding the warranty on the following conditions (from T&C 6.7):

•if the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;

•if you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;

•if you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.

•we will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.

Opening your laptop will not void your warranty unless the new components cause a problem. Never attempted to replace ram in a laptop but I'd not expect any issues adding an SSD, I know a few people in the forum doing that with laptops/desktops without any problems. If you have already purchased the components you could send the memory/SSD to PCS to add them for you. If I was purchasing a laptop I'd probably go with gold warranty to have parts covered by 2 years.

Edit: I was checking the information/grammar and reposted :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PCS