General setup advice

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
Hey guys, so I have been playing a bit of ff14 on my new rig and I noticed how on full screen the game starts to flicker (a common issue with ff14 if nvidia not set up for it) and I have to change specific settings in the control panel. However, the nvidia control panel has almost mo options. There's like 3 and those 3 almost useless. Not sure how to fix it. I reinstalled the drivers for nvidia but it still has no MORE options. Help please

Vergaro98

Super Star
This one.
Screenshot_20210913-222323208_1.jpg

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
Sigh, once again something is missing xD
So, I wanted to make a 2nd power plan that acts as if on battery (as in performance, power etc) to keep it quiet when I play at night. Unfortunately, advanced power plans are missing and I don't know how to enable those missing options.
Any help?
Also, any help with setting up that power plan?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I wanted to make a 2nd power plan that acts as if on battery (as in performance, power etc) to keep it quiet when I play at night. Unfortunately, advanced power plans are missing and I don't know how to enable those missing options.
Any help?
Can you post your full specs?

You have to set custom power plans, they're not there by default.

Plus, power plans are normally configured within the management driver, not within windows power options. You just switch power profile on the fly in the management driver (control center).

I don't think there's anything missing at all, similarly with your last post re: nvidia settings, these are all things you have to configure yourself.

Last edited:

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
Any help?
Check the battery icon and the bottom-right corner of your screen. When you left-click it, there should be a number of options to choose from.

When your charger is plugged in:
  1. Better battery (lowers CPU frequency to preserve battery life)
  2. Better performance (adaptive CPU frequency to either conserve battery when doing low maintenance tasks or boost the frequency when doing demanding tasks such as gaming)
  3. Best performance (forces CPU to its maximum frequency at all times, ideal to slide this one on when playing new/demanding games)
When your laptop is running on just the battery:
  • Best battery (low performance to preserve battery life)
  • Better battery (same as 1)
  • Better performance (same as 2)
  • Best performance (same as 3)
If that isn't enough, right-click the battery icon > power options > create a power plan. Then configure the settings to ensure optimal/best performance. I tend to prefer using the battery slider since it does the job nicely though.

There's also an option in GeForce Experience named "Whisper Mode" which has your laptop run quietly during gameplay: https://beebom.com/how-enable-nvidia-whisper-mode/

Last edited:

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
Hi all, I bought a 2 tb ssd today and I want to know how I should prepare my laptop for plugging it in. I'm not very experienced with laptops so I'm not sure how to handle them honestly

Also, this started happening recently, where the fans would sometimes softly flutter when the fans begin their job. Changing the angle of the laptop or when the fans go full power, the soft flutter stops. Not sure what to do about that. I plan to attach the ssd today so I figured I would ask what I should do with all of this going on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, I bought a 2 tb ssd today and I want to know how I should prepare my laptop for plugging it in. I'm not very experienced with laptops so I'm not sure how to handle them honestly
What model SSD have you got?

What model laptop?

Also, this started happening recently, where the fans would sometimes softly flutter when the fans begin their job. Changing the angle of the laptop or when the fans go full power, the soft flutter stops. Not sure what to do about that. I plan to attach the ssd today so I figured I would ask what I should do with all of this going on.
What do you mean by "softly flutter"?

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
What model SSD have you got?

What model laptop?

What do you mean by "softly flutter"?
The model I ordered was 2tb 970 evo plus.
Laptop: Recoil Series: 15.6"

The flutter is basically.. like soft... or medium loud fru fru sounds. Loud enough that it makes me worried a little bit but not loud enough or often enough to terrify me to death.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The flutter is basically.. like soft... or medium loud fru fru sounds. Loud enough that it makes me worried a little bit but not loud enough or often enough to terrify me to death.
Sorry, I have no idea what "fru fru" means. Real words please ;)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
While you've got the back off to put M.2 in give it a dust in there preferably with a proper blower

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
Also, is there an online version of the manual for putting in new hardware? Stupidly enough I left the book at my parents house 😅