General windows settings to turn off

Pete22

Hi, i think this is more suited to guides but apparently i'm not allowed to post there. Last time i bought a laptop from here i remember being given advice about various windows settings and privacy settings that could / should be turned off for better performance and privacy, but can't find this for the life of me now. Is there any chance someone could help with what bits they recommend shutting down to stop windows acting like a pervy p.i. and wrecking my shiny new computer? Many thanks!

steaky360

Pete22

Sorry, i think i might have overdone the hyperbole! It was more just suggestions i was given at the time of different settings that when turned off stop little bits of slow down here and there and streamline life a bit. Things like the diagnostics being as minimal as you can, turning off the game bar i think it was, etc. It was a few years back now so if there isn't anything like that now i'm more than happy. Thanks for the reply tho :) genuinely nice when you find a corner of the internet that always feels happy and helpful!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, i think i might have overdone the hyperbole! It was more just suggestions i was given at the time of different settings that when turned off stop little bits of slow down here and there and streamline life a bit. Things like the diagnostics being as minimal as you can, turning off the game bar i think it was, etc. It was a few years back now so if there isn't anything like that now i'm more than happy. Thanks for the reply tho :) genuinely nice when you find a corner of the internet that always feels happy and helpful!
On the first Windows setup screen, it asks you what logging you want to enable, just set them all as no. None of that will slow Windows down at all though

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Go to Settings > Privacy and work your way through everything in there turning off anything you're not comfortable with. These are the settings created when you run the OOBE during Windows installation (what @SpyderTracks was referring to). Settings > Privacy is how you change them afterwards.

BTW. Windows will not wreck your new computer. In my long experience the one thing most likely to wreck any computer is the user - by a very long way. ;)

Pete22

Go to Settings > Privacy and work your way through everything in there turning off anything you're not comfortable with. These are the settings created when you run the OOBE during Windows installation (what @SpyderTracks was referring to). Settings > Privacy is how you change them afterwards.

BTW. Windows will not wreck your new computer. In my long experience the one thing most likely to wreck any computer is the user - by a very long way. ;)
It's that last bit that worries me whenever i get a new one!! I think i get more precious over a new laptop than i did when my son was born! (This is a joke before anyone calls social services... 😬)

But again, thank you guys so much. I can fiddle with a computer enough with a bit of youtube and google, but i know my limits ;)