Genesis III Question

Ste

Hi Guys, I'm looking at buying a new laptop for my girlfriend this christmas. It doesnt need to be all singing and all dancing so I thought the Genesis III would be perfect however I have a quick question. She likes to play Sims 3 on my desktop, obviously this means I can't play on it so basically my question is would the onboard graphics card in the Genesis manage to run the Sims ok?

I don't want to fork out the money only to find out the only thing she can do on it is browse the internet.

Oh also as its an Xmas gift how does that work in terms of the 30 day return policy as I'd be putting in the order relatively soonish and obviously I wont know if it works ok until Xmas morning.

Thanks in advance!

Ste

iceatcs

The Sims 3 need a dedicated graphics card to run well. Also Genesis only have dual core, no quad which it is more bad news because The Sims 3 is more optimised for quad core so it may run slower on a dual core, but i5 Dual Core might improve than standard.

You may better get Enigma III laptop.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

Nice of you to consider a laptop for your girlfriend this xmas! Could you give me an indication of your budget and we'll suggest a spec for you? We don't actually have a 30 day return policy, but you do have a 7 day cooling off period under the Distance Selling Regulations. Before you order we'll confirm if the laptop works with Sims 3, perhaps some of our Genesis III owners might comment here?

Ste

My budget is around £400. The genesis spec I chose in the configurator came to £404

I chose the i3 processor, 2 x 2gb memory, 500gb hard drive and no OS whatsoever in order to keep costs down. I already have a copy of Windows I can de-authorise and use again on the new laptop.

I did fear that the integrated graphics chip wouldnt be up to the job but thought I would ask the question anyway. If you could recommend a spec that will run The Sims to an acceptable level I will be more than willing to take a look at it and assess whether my budget can stretch.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Sims 3 might just be the worst running game alive. That game is running slow on my partners desktop PC which I bought from PCS for last chrismas for £800. So a £400 laptop is going to run it even worse. The loading times in Sims 3 is a massive killer. If she's a very patient lady then a slowish laptop might do. My partners PC runs BF3 better then Sims 3, they need some proper developers sorting that game out.

That's basically all I can add to this topic, I'd try to push in a quad core CPU, and at least some form of GPU to make it bareable to play. Does she want a laptop because it's portable? You could probably get a much better Desktop for £500 - 600. (AMD/ATI specced.) (I know your budget is £400 but you don't get much for that sort of money.)