Getting a 2GB RAM Laptop in 2015?

HGBee

Hi everyone :)

My wife's laptop has finally given up and I we're now looking for a temporary replacement. The budget is pretty low, 800$ AU (400 pounds or so) :( Now, she'd be only using it to stay connected with relatives via Facebook and Skype, nothing too fancy, so I thought I'd get her a low-end machine (she's not a fan of tablets, so it has to be a laptop).

I came across the HP 240 G3 for 312$ (160 pounds!), however having an 16GB Macbook with 250SSD, I'm not too happy about 2GB of RAM. So my question is: how well would the HP run most basic programs with only 2GB of RAM? Does this laptop deal pay off [Link Removed] or should I look into something slightly more powerful?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would personally say that 2 Gb RAM is not enough. It's what windows requires really as a minimum just to run the OS, so would probably work OK although I'm sure it would be slow, but as soon as you tax it in any way such as multiple browser tabs, or larger excel files etc, it won't handle it.

That's my humble opinion and one I've had to stress many many times at work, but I realise people look at this differently.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
4GB is pretty much standard these days, even for basic tasks it is recommended. I can't advise you on the laptop but if thats what you want you could upgrade the RAM for pretty cheap. Providing it currently has a single 2GB RAM stick rather than 2x1GB. You can get a 2GB or 4GB laptop stick for under £25.