Ghost in laptop

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Sometimes when I put the Defiance II in my laptop bag, I come home to find that it has become a sauna inside the bag. The laptop turns itself on. It's done this quite a few times, and I assumed "oh the lid must have moved, causing it to wake up".

But the other night, I was asleep, probably around 4am and the thing woke up from standby and started resuming a documentary quite loudly. The lid was on and no way could anything have moved it. Is it a ghost? I can't think of anything that could be causing this.

Thanks.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Are there any jobs scheduled such as back up, scandisk, virus scan that will wake up the machine after a certain amount of time?

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for replies

- I'll try disabling hibernation to see if it helps.

- Nothing scheduled as far as I'm aware. I've had various AV programs and it still happens at random times.

- I always push the standby button, I imagined that would have sufficed. I should really turn it off, but sometimes I have too many things open and in a hurry to get somewhere.

Bhuna50

Author Level
- I always push the standby button, I imagined that would have sufficed. I should really turn it off, but sometimes I have too many things open and in a hurry to get somewhere.

it might be that your standby button isnt set to shut down the machine but merely put it in sleep mode or something.

Go into Power plans/options and check on the section: "Choose what the power button does" - then select from the drop down menu for both options of when plugged in and when on battery.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

With Windows 10 it isn't advisable to switch off Hiberbation, although it's mostly Microsoft saying this but I do understand why, which is because of the way it boots using the hiberfil.sys. The other option is to press the SHIFT key when you select shutdown because this actually shuts the computer off.

If it is 'properly' shutdown even Windows automated tasks can't start it up but check the BIOS to see what wake up options are selected. Some have wake up at a particular time options for example.

If you don't do the SHIFT key when shutting down the computer remains in a sleep state and can wake up from automated tasks and all sorts of other things.

Failing that there could be a hardware fault causing it to power on, or you have a ghost.

Frank100

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
@andjef796

That's exactly what the power button does - puts the computer to standby, as it should

@Frank100

I'm using Windows 7 and hibernation is disabled as it turns out. It did it again this morning, waking me up at 7am playing a video about a conspiracy of the pope being assassinated.

I'm guessing something is short circuiting that will never be identified until something crucial breaks down and calls for a repair.

Bhuna50

Author Level
i know this is an obvious question, but you have run a virus scan / unwanted progs scan etc? just in case...