Gigabit Lan & killer 1202 wireless gaming 802.11N - Is it worth the price?

Nedkelly

As the tittle.
The card is almost 20 pounds with vat more expensive than a standard wireless card, but is it worth this?
Basically, playing online games the most important thing in those games is ability to send packets without loss without ping increase. I wonder if the card will meet my expectations and will give me a good connection up to 7-10 meters away from the wifi router. I hope it does, and i will not need to invest any money into the cable. :yes:

I don`t need any fantasy download/upload speed for my laptop, i just wonder about ping.

Last edited:

steaky360

I'd suggest its better than the standard wireless card, I don't use it though so can't comment on whether the real world results will be as good. I'd say though that your router is almost as (if not more) important than your wireless card in the PC. So you need to make sure your router is also good quality.

If you 'can' use a cable I don't understand why you wouldn't, surely it'll be as cheap as the extra £20 you'd pay for this card and get a guaranteed stable connection that isn't susceptible to interference like wireless connections are.

Or even consider homeplugs (admittedly they're more expensive)?

Nedkelly

I'd suggest its better than the standard wireless card, I don't use it though so can't comment on whether the real world results will be as good. I'd say though that your router is almost as (if not more) important than your wireless card in the PC. So you need to make sure your router is also good quality.

If you 'can' use a cable I don't understand why you wouldn't, surely it'll be as cheap as the extra £20 you'd pay for this card and get a guaranteed stable connection that isn't susceptible to interference like wireless connections are.

Or even consider homeplugs (admittedly they're more expensive)?

I would like to have a good wireless card, because some times i am playing games all over the house, having my tv pluged to laptop or in visit to friends.

mrducking

Bright Spark
it supposedly is better in the stability/ping field
but as steaky said: router router router :) above 5-6 wifi conections it is imperative to have a good router if you plan to play via wifi
problem with is that the killer costs 20 more, a good router 100 or more :) i bet you see the problem
you should aspire to this: LAN > PLC > WIFI
i would consider plc, as you can move it around the house with your laptop, only requiring a power plug, you could probably get decent PLCs for 20-30 pounds (i can get them for 29 euros)