Gigabyte Motherboard Software (GCC)

lynnec

At the beginning of the year I bought a new computer, with the advice of the great people here. It included a Gigabyte motherboard. I refreshed Windows recently, because of my stupid mistake, so it was easier to reinstall than fix.
Anyway, on the restart, the motherboard installed its software, Gigabyte Control Centre (GCC). And everything went crazy. BSOD's, slowed down, got noisy. USB slots stopped working. Refreshed again. Same result. Refreshed again, only this time I wiped the hard drive, and wouldn't let GCC install.
Everything came back. Everything worked as it should. And, a few weeks later, it's fine.
So it's the software. I think it installed the wrong motherboard driver. I let Windows do it instead, and everything's fine.
Just posting this in case anybody else comes up against it.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good advice: Windows is strangely more reliable at installing drivers than motherboard software is. You may find there's a setting in the BIOS to turn off automatically installing GCC. (I have an Asus board and there is such an option.) I'd definitely enable it if it's there.