Go to ingredients

Stephen M

Author Level
Mushrooms are a real favourite for me, put them in almost everything.

Have a few other things that are fairly regular as well.

Tahini, love the nutty flavour and there is always a bit that sticks to the spoon so you have to suck it clean:)

Basil, especially fresh, a good herb in most dishes but fresh leaves with tomato and Mozzerella on Ciabatta is a great snack.

Garlic, use this almost as often as Mushrooms, also good roasted in whole cloves as an extra veg.

Mustard powder, great to bring out the flavour in a cheese sauce or as a flavour enhancer in loads of dishes.

Also enjoy making different mustards. Just with water for a strong paste but milk makes a milder mustard and Maple syrup gives an odd but rather nice sweet mustard flavour which is great on a freshly boiled ham.

Paneer, a good protein source and does not melt but has a nice chewy consistency in curry type dishes. Holloumi is good like this as well.

Smoked paprika powder, good in a lot of dishes and for a quick snack sprinkle a little over Holloumi sliced before grilling/frying.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Love mushrooms, in fact raw mushrooms are one of my go to snacks if I've got the nibbles............

Herb wise I love oregano, a bolognese just isn't right without loads of oregano

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
That's a great list. I nearly always add extra garlic to recipes, it's the best.

I'd add my indian base spices: Cumin, Coriander, Garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder.
And i invariably swap boneless chicken thighs for breasts as they are much tastier.
I love a bit of grated ginger too.

Stephen M

Author Level
I eat more fish than meat these days and find most recipes that have chicken also work well with Monkfish, Anglerfish in some places.

With no bones, a solid flesh that does not flake and strong flavour it is very versatile. Goes great in a Thai Green curry.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Monkfish is great but tends to be pricey for everyday use, certainly where i live.

My other 'ingredient' (and yes i am stretching the term to beyond breaking point) is my Instant pot. As I child my grandma's stove top pressure cooker terrified me, it just seemed like an explosion waiting to happen, but I use my instant pot for about half my meals now.
It's been a revelation. It's far more versatile than I would have imagined and I can make curry from scratch in 30 minutes, whole roast chicken in the same time. I even did slow roast pork belly in well under an hour, including 15 minutes crisping in the oven.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Monkfish is great but tends to be pricey for everyday use, certainly where i live.

My other 'ingredient' (and yes i am stretching the term to beyond breaking point) is my Instant pot. As I child my grandma's stove top pressure cooker terrified me, it just seemed like an explosion waiting to happen, but I use my instant pot for about half my meals now.
It's been a revelation. It's far more versatile than I would have imagined and I can make curry from scratch in 30 minutes, whole roast chicken in the same time. I even did slow roast pork belly in well under an hour, including 15 minutes crisping in the oven.
The Instant Pot is also good for no stir risotto, tagine, slow cooked leg of lamb.....