Going for another desktop - Advice needed.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
So I've decided to go for another desktop. Here's the build I had in mind:

Case
SHARKOON BD28 GAMING CASE (Green LED)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® H97M-E: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM)
2GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 2GB)

Graphics Card
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)

1st Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler (£29)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price: £612.00 including VAT and delivery.

Ignore the fact it doesn't have a GPU atm, I'll be adding a GTX 970 at a later date, also the RAM is only 2GB as I already have 2x4GB sticks ready for this rig. This desktop is going to be used to play games at 1080p. Will it be able to max out upcoming titles (GTA V, Batman Arkham Knight etc)? Taking account for optimization of course. Also, what do you think the life span of this rig is?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The processor won't bottleneck the gpu and the 970 will smash current games at max settings. You could lower the cooler to the tripple copper heatpipe if you wanted to further reduce costs. I think you'd be good for max settings for at least a year, then perhaps reduce to high for another 2 years before starting to think of upgrading. That's pure speculation of course as we don't know what's upcoming but i have a feeling there are going to be some significant increases in the gaming world over the next year, the maxwell chips have really upped the ante.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Awesome, thanks for the input. I understand it's difficult to predict the lifespan of a PC, I'm fine with upgrading when needed.

One more question, my current rig has a Corsair 500w PSU with a MSI R9 270 GPU, 8GB corsair vengeance RAM and an FX 6300. Do you think my PSU would be able to handle a GTX 970? Or would it be better to wait till I get my new rig before using it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Awesome, thanks for the input. I understand it's difficult to predict the lifespan of a PC, I'm fine with upgrading when needed.

One more question, my current rig has a Corsair 500w PSU with a MSI R9 270 GPU, 8GB corsair vengeance RAM and an FX 6300. Do you think my PSU would be able to handle a GTX 970? Or would it be better to wait till I get my new rig before using it?

One of the big benefits of the 900 series cards is their power requirements. NVidia recommend a minimum of 500W for the GTX970, I reckon you'd be ok.