Going SLI

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
I have just bought a 2nd GTX 670 so go with my other one which I've had since I got my computer from PCS and was just after a little advice

1. The 2nd card I bought is a Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce, compared to the Palit GTX 670 that came with my rig, the Gigabyte looks to have better cooling. Now my question is, which position should I put my new card? Should it be below my current Palit card or should I take my Palit card out and put the Gigabyte card on top with the Palit card underneath? I'm just wondering about what the heat from the card below will do to the card above. I figured that, with the Gigabyte having a better cooling system it would fare better with the extra heat coming from the card below compared to the other way round if the Palit was on top.

2. Are there different drivers for SLI configurations? Would I have to un-install my current driver and re-download a SLI driver or would it just overwrite it?

3. When attaching the SLI bridge does it matter which male connection I put the bridge on? On my Palit card (and looking at pics of my gigabyte card) it seems to have 2 male connections for an SLI bridge, would the 2nd one be used for a 3 way SLI setup? Which male connection should I attach the SLI bridge on? The one closest to the back of my case or the one closest to the front of my case?

4. And finally, does it matter which port I run my DP cable from? Can I just leave it in my current Palit port or would I benefit from putting it into my new gigabyte card as it seems to have better specs?

Thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
1- trial and error is my gut feeling. Depends also in your case, chassis fans, cable management....
2- no
3- I would make sure is the same on each card
4- no difference, even if one gpu is better than the other both cards will run at the same clock speed which is the one with the lowest one.